Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another discontinued product  (Read 3857 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Another discontinued product
« on: December 10, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »

I just discovered that the Leviton 16400 controller has apparently been discontinued.  That is an enhancement of the X10 XPT because its keypads include LEDs that indicate the status of each unit code.  It can be used both as a controller or as a status indicator because the LEDs also respond to powerline commands.  We use a number of them here for both functions.  One neat feature of the Leviton version is the clear plastic keycaps that allow custom labels.

Since it physically looks virtually identical to the X10 XPT, I wonder if that was manufactured in the X10 China factory.

Jeff

X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Another discontinued product
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »

Since it physically looks virtually identical to the X10 XPT, I wonder if that was manufactured in the X10 China factory.
Probably. Back in the '90s, Dave Rye told me all the Leviton branded, X10 protocol stuff was manufactured by X10 and went through a burn in and more QC checks similar to X10 Pro.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »

Probably. Back in the '90s, Dave Rye told me all the Leviton branded, X10 protocol stuff was manufactured by X10 and went through a burn in and more QC checks similar to X10 Pro.

I suspected that was true of many of the older "red-line" devices that are physically very similar to the X10 products, but I wasn't sure because the Leviton devices have included AGC for over a decade.  I wonder if it is also true of their newer "green-line" products.

Jeff

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »

I suspected that was true of many of the older "red-line" devices that are physically very similar to the X10 products, but I wasn't sure because the Leviton devices have included AGC for over a decade.  I wonder if it is also true of their newer "green-line" products.
Don't know about that, but X10 design and parts are pretty easy to identify. Is red-line and green-line products similar inside? (i.e. PC Board, components similar in design, construction, and quality).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »

I some the X10Pro modules have AGC. Though I don't know for how many years.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

Is red-line and green-line products similar inside? (i.e. PC Board, components similar in design, construction, and quality).

Sorry, but I have never had a reason to open up any of the Leviton switches, so I can't answer that.

Jeff

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

The only one I've opened was their all housecode transceiver. It was not made on any X10 assembly line nor designed by any X10 engineer. IIRC, it was made in Mexico.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.