Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CR14A Can't Switch Cameras  (Read 4211 times)

Romanof54

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CR14A Can't Switch Cameras
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »

I've had three cameras set up for a couple of years now with no problems switching from camera to camera.  Last week my CR14A stopped being able to select cameras and now get a snowy video, the same thing I got when I first installed the cameras but forgot to plug in the TM751.  I can still control the ninja mount for the one camera it's installed on.  There's been several brown outs and power outages in my area.  Could my TM751 be bad?  I moved it to other outlets in the house but same issue persists.  Any way to know whether the TM751 has gone bad or is something else is causing the problem?

Also, my wireless router has been operational all this time and have had no issues.  I did install a UNIDEN multi DECT1480 Series 3 phone system over a month ago but I hadn't had any camera switching issues until last week.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CR14A Can't Switch Cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

Could my TM751 be bad?  I moved it to other outlets in the house but same issue persists.  Any way to know whether the TM751 has gone bad or is something else is causing the problem?

Also, my wireless router has been operational all this time and have had no issues.  I did install a UNIDEN multi DECT1480 Series 3 phone system over a month ago but I hadn't had any camera switching issues until last week.
Sure, it could be. But what have you done to trouble shoot so far? For example: replace the batteries in the CR14, or unpluging the Uniden and re-testing cameras??

Does the relay in the TM751 click when you push the button on the front? If so, it is a good sign, but still inconclusive. Best way to test a TM751 is with a X10 module such as Lamp Module or Appliance Module and a RF controller like Palm Pad, Key Chain Remote, etc. Do you have any other X10 devices besides the cameras and ninjas?

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »

You can still pan and tilt the Ninja camera They are controlled directly by the CR14A and don't use the power lines at all. Strictly an RF command from the CR14A to the camera with its addressable power supply On. So the CR14A maybe OK.

Have you added or moved anything in the house. Even Seasonal things that could change the power line communications. Between the cameras addressable power suppplies and the TM751.

Do you have any other X10 controller that you could use to send On and Off commands to the cameras addressable powerr supplies?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:58:59 PM by Brian H »

Romanof54

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

I did replace the batteries in the CR14.  Didn't resolve issue.  The TM751 does click and when I plug my shredder into the outlet side, it contolls the on/off power.  I didn't unplug the UNIDEN phones yet as a part of troubleshooting.  I originally purchased a bundled kit with six cameras and extras such as the motion sensors and an additional remote control.  Will dig out the unused components and do further troubleshooting.   Thanks so much for the input.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »

I did replace the batteries in the CR14.  Didn't resolve issue.  The TM751 does click and when I plug my shredder into the outlet side, it contolls the on/off power.  I didn't unplug the UNIDEN phones yet as a part of troubleshooting.  I originally purchased a bundled kit with six cameras and extras such as the motion sensors and an additional remote control.  Will dig out the unused components and do further troubleshooting.   Thanks so much for the input.
It sounds like the TM751 *might* be OK. If it responds to RF commands, that at least verifies the RF stages and PLC decoding circuits are functional, but the PLC transmitter has yet to be checked. Could you have a new noise source preventing the TM751 PLC commands from reaching all camera power supplies? The fact that you moved it around with no improvement, points away from noise, but does not eliminate.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

If X10 would have put "power" LEDs on the cameras it sure would have helped troubleshooting...but that would have been a nickel more per camera.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Romanof54

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

Problem resolved but the resolution is odd.  Did unplug all three UNIDEN corless phone adapter from the power supply.  Didn't resolve the issue.  Finally located the other components I purchased as a bundle, additional X10 cameras and a CR12A remote.  Pulled the batteries out of the CR14A and put them in the CR12A.  I was able to switch the cameras.  Put the batteries back in the CR14A and now it works including operating the ninja mount.

Noticed though that the CR12 has on and off buttons but the CR14 doesn't.  When issue first showed up the red LED on the CR14 blinked while holding down the camera selection button but didn't switch cameras.  When I pressed the CR12 "ON" button I did power on the TM751; Heard the click on the unit.  Could be the last power outage somehow caused the TM751 to turn off and even though I connected my shredder to its power side and turned the TM751 on manually, maybe it really wasn't on.   Thanks so much for the info.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.