Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: um506 lifetimes?  (Read 7312 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: um506 lifetimes?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »

Sounds to me like I need to open the module up and see what's going on with it.  I tried unplugging it and smacking it last night to see if that would free up any ceased movement.  I thought it worked last night, but I know it did not work this morning.  Fry's still sells a couple X10 components, so I'll stop by there and see if they have one in stock.

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »

That plastic cam arm is what has failed for me each time.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »

I guess I was wrong about my local Fry's.  The module I saw the other day was a power flash, not a universal module.  I guess if this one is toast, I'll have to order a new one.  Technically, it's still under the 1 year warranty, but I suspect it would be cheaper and easier to just order a new one than to try to deal with X10.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

>!

Thanks for the photo of the inside of the switch in the UM506. Helpful from me.

Busted plastic cam.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »

Actually, that photo got me thinking about my setup and made me realize that I don't have a UM506 after all.  I actually do have a power flash.  I was wondering why my setup required a relay...it doesn't.   rofl

Fry's has a new one of what I need, so I'll get that and should be good to go.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »

but I suspect it would be cheaper and easier to just order a new one than to try to deal with X10.
Much less painfull.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »

No kidding.  I called them at the end of last year because a motion sensor I was about to install was missing one of those silicon discs that are intended to seal the screw hole.  I figured that part could cost as much as $0.05USD retail, so they could probably send me one without too much difficulty.  Worst case, they could send me a new packet of screws and gaskets.  As it turns out, they wanted me to send the whole unit back as an RMA.  I guess that would work, but I would have had to pay for shipping as well as wait for their RMA process which I have found from personal experience takes a couple months.  I decided to just get something at the hardware store and move on.

I don't know what's wrong with the thing at this point.  I came home last night and it worked fine.  When I left this morning it was working.  I guess I'll just have to watch it to see if I can develop a pattern when it doesn't work...
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.