Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Working X10 system to no working x10 system!!!  (Read 3476 times)

rwljll

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Working X10 system to no working x10 system!!!
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »

I started with X10 around 1980. I had all my house lights and my yard lights under X10 control. Everything was fine, THEN I moved to a different town. At first all was well, I had to install a passive bridge, no big deal. Then in 2004 we had a standby power source installed!!  No more X10!! I searched and found a Leviton Decora unit System Amplifier Repeater cat # HCAO2. The device was kind of pricey, but I thought I would give it a try!!! It worked like magic!! I was so happy!!! THEN....the power  company installed a remote read meter!!! NO MORE X10!!!
I got an email from a gentleman who works at X10, he said X10 ALSO made a Phase Coupler Repeater, the XPCR. I bought and installed the XPCR, but still nothing works!!!

now the Leviton has TWO leds, the green one stays on until an X10 command comes along, then it blinks. The red led is never on unless excessive noise is on the phases. On my installation, the red led is on constantly!!!

I have a lot of money invested, CM15A over a dozen appliance wall switches, and 25 more to install (because X10 won't make a wall switch that will control a cfl lamp, WITHOUT A NEUTRAL!!!
I am a retired electronics technician, I have a 4 channel 400MHZ oscilloscope. Problem I am 71 years old, would like to solve problem without really getting involved!!  please Help
Thanks, rwljll

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Working X10 system to no working x10 system!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »

Others have reported similar problems when a Smart Meter has been installed.
Basically wipes out the X10 signals. I would not be surprised if some Insteon users may also have problems soon.
Here is a thread on the problem and it may give you further information.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=fku2kt00dfaavdns4nuf62ukv3&topic=22508.0

rwljll

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »

Well, I emailed the power company, DTE Energy (Detroit Edison). They responded within 2 days, and promised to help with my problem. I noticed 2 days ago that my outside lights were working again!!! And so is everything else!!! I didn't need notch filters, isolation transformers, or anything else, all I needed to do was ASK FOR HELP FROM THE POWER COMPANY!!!  I have 2 smart meters, because I have interruptable A/C, which is cheaper. The Smart Meters I have are Itron Centron Open Way CL200, Type C280D. I would advise anyone with a similar problem to contact their Power Company!!! I am sure glad I did!!!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:10 PM »

Well, I emailed the power company, DTE Energy (Detroit Edison). They responded within 2 days, and promised to help with my problem. I noticed 2 days ago that my outside lights were working again!!! And so is everything else!!! I didn't need notch filters, isolation transformers, or anything else, all I needed to do was ASK FOR HELP FROM THE POWER COMPANY!!!  I have 2 smart meters, because I have interruptable A/C, which is cheaper. The Smart Meters I have are Itron Centron Open Way CL200, Type C280D. I would advise anyone with a similar problem to contact their Power Company!!! I am sure glad I did!!!!!
If you can, I'd suggest contacting them again, and asking for detail on what they did to correct the problem. That might help others in the same situation, so they know what to ask the power company to do to for their issue, as well.

rwljll

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »

I have emailed the power company 3 times since my X10 system became functional again. They responded that the information I was requesting would be answered by another group within the power company, probably AFTER the Holidays!  As soon as I get an answer, I will post it!! Thanks for your interest!!!

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

We are looking ar moving in the next couple of years here, and I'd really like to know what had transpired on the Power companies side to resolve your issue, just in case I run in to the same or similar problem myself.
  Sometimes you can get a hold of a tech that only knows the words "duh" and "duh", kind of like some of X10's so called techies (sorry guys, but you've failed me and others miserably these past 6 months or so.
  But yeah, any specifics you can gather up would be awesome!
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.