Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help me spec out my system  (Read 1892 times)

Peeping Thom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Please help me spec out my system
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:45:55 PM »

I am new to this forum, to x10 and security/surveillance systems and I could really use some help. I hope I don't offend to many people with my request. I would normally do all my own research but the more I learn, the less I seem to know. We are business owners that have precious little time left over at the end of a day. I tried calling sales a couple of different times but I simply couldn't wait any longer for them to answer. My hope is that with the number of experienced users on this forum that a few of you might be willing to advise me.

We have a residence and two outbuildings (a new office that is 350' from the residence and a small store 25' further). I have a newly dug trench that connects the residence to the office. I need to fill that trench first to get the offices up and running.

From the research that I have done I have compiled this list:

My needs:
  • Discreetly monitor (via internet/iPhones/networked pc) employee activity in the office and store (audio and pictures) 2 cams ea.
  • A panic button in the store, office and residence (on a wall or on a keychain fob). Fobs tend to get lost/damaged so the more the better.
  • Lights flash when system is activated.
  • Night/low light vision cameras. Three total (office, store, and eventually the residence).
  • Motion-activated image recording (advanced settings, such as time of day, day of week) Record to a network drive or upload to a secured folder on our website.
  • "Listen in" capability when the system is activated. Will this record too?
  • Random on/off of lights for the office and store.
  • Remotely check status/Arm/Disarm.
  • Phone a friend when tripped.

My Wishes:
  • Intercom between the store, office and residence.
  • Doorbell chime in our office announcing visitors at our store.
  • Lights flash without setting an alarm. Warning people that the system is active and has been triggered.
  • When the lights flash I'd love one to flash in the bedroom at the residence.
  • A quieter alarm. I know this sounds silly but there's a reason. Phone call alerts and a good buzzer would be sufficient.
  • If we can have the "two-stage alarm" (a warning with lights and then a full blown alert with sound) I'd like to have a buzzer sound in the residence as well.
  • Expandable for future growth would be nice

I've already planned for a 100 amp sub panel at the office (for a/c-heater, outlets, lights) and three cat 5 runs (for network access, telephone and future expansion). I can add more of anything while the trench is open so although I need help spec'ing out the equipment it's the wiring requirements for the security/surveillance system that is my immediate concern.

I will eventually want to wire the residence with a separate, full blown system, it's just not a huge priority. But if it makes sense to buy now, I'd be willing to install motion sensors and alerts on my iPhone.

I'm probably missing some key information you'll need to help me, I apologize. If you can think if some cool features please feel free to suggest them.

Thank you in advance for all comments, questions and suggestions.

Chris

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Please help me spec out my system
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »

Your requirements sound more sophisticated  than an X10 system can achieve.
You may want to look in these forums as they have users that are doing automation integrated with security regularly.
http://cocoontech.com/forums/

Peeping Thom

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

Thank you for the reply. I am open to adjusting my requirements if I can still do most of what I want. In we eliminated the wish list altogether could the rest be accomplished?

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »

X10 is not suitable for this application IMO.

Peeping Thom

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

Thanks for the replies. You've probably saved me countless hours of regret.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.