Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone other than X-10 crew tested battery life?  (Read 8210 times)

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Has anyone other than X-10 crew tested battery life?
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »

I realize that every AP will be different depending on APPs runing in the background however the stated 6 hours in video mode seems very optimatic IMO.

Starting with a full charge using WiFi connection (4 feet from router) streaming a movie from my network hard drive  battery went from 100% to 20% in 2hr. 5 min..

Edit :

Battery useage display indicated
Standby 72% (what ever that is)
Display  19%
WiFi 11%

FYI I am somewhat of a LiPoly  / LiIon battery expert and  discharging these batteries lower than 20% is extremely hard on them as in it greatly reduces service life (cycles).

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:15:53 PM by everydayflyer »

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: Has anyone other than X-10 crew tested battery life?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »

Greetings,

It is great to see some user experiences being recorded as tests. However, my response is geared towards a thank you for your hint/tip to not let the AirPad discharge past 20% to increase life of the device.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

everydayflyer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »

Ran another test this time playing a movie from a 16GB Centon Pro (USB) Data Stick.
99% at start
79% @ 60 min ( 20% drop in one hour)
32% @ 120 min. ( 67% drop in two hours)
Not a very linear decline display wise.  It would be helpful IMO if AP showed battery voltage as it is normal for current to increase as voltage decreases.

Battery useage reported as
Cell Standby 82%
Display 19%

YB

• Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:40:42 PM »

Ran another test this time playing a movie from a 16GB Centon Pro (USB) Data Stick.
99% at start
79% @ 60 min ( 20% drop in one hour)
32% @ 120 min. ( 67% drop in two hours)
Not a very linear decline display wise.  It would be helpful IMO if AP showed battery voltage as it is normal for current to increase as voltage decreases.

Battery useage reported as
Cell Standby 82%
Display 19%

I will keep that in mind.  >!
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Jeff M

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »

So will the AirPad shut itself down when the battery voltage gets to a preset low point, or will it continue to discharge the battery causing permanent damage?

everydayflyer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »

The one time I let mine run down below 20% when it reached 18% the video being played paused and a low battery warning popped up at 18% with a message to connect the charger. At that point I connected the charger and resumed watching the movie. I do not know if I could have ignored the warning and just pushed play to continue, perhaps will give it a try but as I have posted 20% is a good stopping point to help preserve the battery life.

everydayflyer

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »

A follow up after additional testing.

Starting with a full charge I streamed video by way of NETFLIX .
After two hours battery at 18%
2:12 Low Battery Warning at 15%
I continued  without connecting charger  and at 2:28 another Low Battery Warning at 12% at which time I connected the charger.

I really like most everything about the AP except for the what I consider extremely short battery life. Given that the display uses approx. 20% and Wi-Fi uses approx. 12% it really makes me wonder what  the other approx. 68% gets consumed by.

With a full charge in sleep mode there is only between 0.2 and 0.3 watts being consumed.
Wake it up and Unlock it and 2.5 watts are being consumed.
Switch on Wi-Fi and 3.7 watts are being consumed.
Start NETFLIX (viewing a movie)and  5.1 watts are being consumed.
Movie being played from SD card  4.1 watts ( Wi-Fi still on)
Movie being played  from SD card with Wi-Fi turned off 4 watts.

It looks to me like power consumed by Wi-Fi depends on if it is really doing anything or not.

Music from internal memory playing with screen off 2.2 watts
Screen on 4.0 watts

Music being streamed  from Home Media Server by Wi-Fi screen on 4.6 watts  / screen off 2.8 watts

Note : The above power consumption number obtained by monitoring the input required to maintain battery at 100% state of charge. This is as close as I can get witout opening the AP up and I do not care to void the warranty which is short enough anyway.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:46:22 AM by everydayflyer »

everydayflyer

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »

Unplanned Battery Test.

Last night I failed to shut my AP all the way down  so it set for 12:55 and some few seconds  . Screen was off as was the Wi Fi and the battery had been under charge at 100% for hours prior so was good and full.

Went to power it up this morning and found it at the Device options Silent  / Power Off  and Battery at 10%. 

Edit : So if it drains the battery in 13hours doing nothing but barely staying alive how in the world could it play music for 20 hours? Answer is very simple it can not no more so than it can play video for 6 hours per charge.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:09:34 PM by everydayflyer »

Chars

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:19:11 AM »

I am lucky to get 2 hours of wifi on a battery cycle, let alone using it with wifi on. The Airpad has a problem with battery drain as specified on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6FJskd9Qps
I would say this is a spot on review. You have to decide is this trouble and short battery life worth $200.
Answer: NO. I'm keeping mine because customer service never sent me the RMA for it, and I don't have the patience to be ignored by X10. I have had many other legal and personal issues and I have no fight left.
X10 wins and keeps selling this with the untruth of battery life!!! 
6 hours WIFI Internet access is untrue!!!
Maybe there is a fixed OS that I just haven't found, if there is, they should tell us that do not know, so we don't continue to be the beta testers of a cheap chinese tablet. They make it sound good, but I would say not good, and then charge the battery again!
Disappointed!

BillT

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »

I charged my new airpad 7p till 100%, then ran it off cord for 5hr and 20min wifi on, installing apps, watching video stuff like that

everydayflyer

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »

Sounds better than the original 7" AP but mixed useage is not a very level test IMO. Charge it up and stream full motion high resolution video ( Movies) by way of WiFi and report available run time.

klyf25

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 02:12:36 AM »

Just to weigh in on this. I took the 002 rom and ripped out the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk. I no longer have the cell standby and my battery life has improved dramatically.

When i find some time ill write up how to do it... But you will have to edit the rom itself then install it. You cant make the change on the tablet. They are using the crappy cramfs file system.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:14:09 AM by klyf25 »

N4ST

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

Not very scientific, but I just received the 7p today with Android 4 installed.  I am new to the Android OS and spent about 5 hours playing with it with WIFI on, setting up email, browsing, reading the short short manual and such.  After 5 hours of this the battery was down to 53%.  Obviously, not heavy duty continuous video streaming, but I would estimate getting 8 hours out of the battery easy for the way I use it.

moore_tr

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »

Well, I had the same issue when I got mine - the battery didn't last very long - one of the problems is with the android O/S being designed to work on smart PHONES....I found that 70% of my battery was being sucked up by the phone apps, checking for signal strength (which is useless on these devices).  I upgraded my O/S to ICS 4.0.3, and got SOME improvement, but by far the best tools I have that have increased my battery life from 2 - 3 hours on my Airpad X, to about 10 hours, are:
1.  Download the airplane mode Wi-fi app (free), turn ON airplane mode, then tap the wifi ON button.  This has a MAJOR effect on battery life.
2.  Download the No-frills CPU Control app (free), and there are 2 settings for speed, and several "governor" settings.  I like the performance setting, but if you want your battery to last a lot longer, set it to ondemand, or powersave.  Set your max clock speed to the highest speed, and the min. clock speed to the lowest.

This will step down the processor speed while in sleep mode, or running apps that don't require lots of CPU speed, like the kindle or nook e-readers, and will greatly increase your battery life.
User of X10 products for 20 years. 31 years of computer experience from mainframes down to PCs and tablets.  Current user of X10 Airpad X running ICS 4.0.3 @ 900MHz.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.