Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Smart meter problem solved  (Read 67050 times)

gg4000

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
  • Been playing x-10 since Windows 3.0
    • GG4000.com
Re: Smart meter problem solved
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »

I like the smart meters because they don't have to come to read it, get my German Shepherd barking. But I have to get my X-10 more reliable.
Yesterday was a good day. Wanted to turn off my desk light from the living room, and it worked.  >!

Jeff, I did not find the smart meter rejection kit yet. Is there a drill down link?

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »

Jeff, I did not find the smart meter rejection kit yet. Is there a drill down link?

Sorry, there is no direct link.  It is about 3/4 down the XTB Ordering page labeled "Echelon Smart Meter Rejection Kit":

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_ordering.htm

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

gg4000

• GG4000.com
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »

Not sure yet which one to use.
4 "Clam Shell" Ferrite filters & 1 XPNR Noise Reducer
4 "Clam Shell" Ferrite filters & a custom 240V XTB-TSS
Do these come assembled, ready to use?

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

Not sure yet which one to use.
4 "Clam Shell" Ferrite filters & 1 XPNR Noise Reducer
4 "Clam Shell" Ferrite filters & a custom 240V XTB-TSS
Do these come assembled, ready to use?

The XPNR is a standard X10 product (at least it was).  The custom 240V XTB-TSS is unit that I assemble myself.  The smart meter version is essentially a fused very large X2-rated capacitor.  Testing shows it works somewhat better than the XPNR to shunt the smart meter signal.  It also functions as very low impedance passive coupler.

I am out of stock on cases for the XTB-TSS right now, but more should be here late this week.

Jeff

gg4000

• GG4000.com
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

OK, let me know when they come in. I'm also interested in the gizmo that ? repeats the signal to the other phase.
I'm looking to get the most reliability from my X-10 system. A lot because I like my new App. It works well. I can see the status change on AHP, but the lights fail at times due to line noise or signal loss.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »

Interesting as of 6/1/12 Baltimore Gas & Electric is converting to Smart Electric and Gas Meters, however they will put a customer on a "no Smart Meter" list if they want to. I got my name on the "no smart meter list.  I gave them the problems others had with smart meters screwing up X10 and the cost to the user to fix it.  According recently over 2500  BGE customers are already on the list.   

Smart Meters are for the companies, not the users.  All the users want is their electric and gas service.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »

Interesting as of 6/1/12 Baltimore Gas & Electric is converting to Smart Electric and Gas Meters, however they will put a customer on a "no Smart Meter" list if they want to. Smart Meters are for the companies, not the users.  All the users want is their electric and gas service.
I wonder if they will try and charge you more?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »

I don't think the Maryland Public Service Commission, which regulates what BGE can and cannot do will not allow BGE to charge non-smart meter users more as they install more and more Smart Meters in the system. The PSC is not a friend of BGE and never has been.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »

I just got off the phone with PEPCO (DC/Maryland).
They told me that the two meters they are installing in my area are the Landis+Gyr Focus AXR, and the GE 1210+C.
I don't see a GE 1210+C, but I see an I-210+C (understandable mistake). The GE looks to be a single-phase meter, so I'm guessing I'll be getting the AXR.
Other than the one post here, I haven't seen any other reports of X10 problems with it, which is a good sign.
However, they don't know when we will be getting the new meter. Their goal is to have the entire region done by the end of 2012.

Well, I got the letter in the mail that PEPCO will be installing SmartMeters in my area in the immediate future.
I called and asked what type of meter they are installing, and I got through to one of the engineers that handles any problems that come up during or after the installs.
He "almost" confirmed the model numbers I was told back in November (he said, "I don't have the model numbers in front of me, but those sound right to me"), and told me that in the 8 years he has been installing these meters across the country, he hasn't heard of any reports of interference with PLC-based systems. He said he is "somewhat" familiar with X10 automation.
According to him (and PEPCO's website) the meters use wireless signals to talk back to an access point on a nearby pole, and from there use cellular or phone lines to communicate back to the utility. He told me they are NOT putting any signals on the powerline, in either direction, from the meter.
I scheduled an appointment for first thing next Monday morning, which will give me an opportunity to test my X10 system right away after the meter is installed (before the installer leaves). If something doesn't work, I'll ask the installer to put the old meter back.

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »

According to him (and PEPCO's website) the meters use wireless signals to talk back to an access point on a nearby pole, and from there use cellular or phone lines to communicate back to the utility. He told me they are NOT putting any signals on the powerline, in either direction, from the meter.

It should be fine if it does not communicate over the powerline.

Jeff

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »

It should be fine if it does not communicate over the powerline.

Jeff
Yes. My hope is that when they say "it does not communicate over the powerline," that it ACTUALLY does not communicate over the powerline.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 07:30:03 AM »

As a add to my last post, I just want to mention that BGE stopped using meter readers about 8 years ago as they mailed my house key back to me. (nobody was home during the day, so BGE had to have a key)  I still get bills, so BGE is using something (probably truck mounted) to read my electric and gas meters (both are inside).

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »

As a add to my last post, I just want to mention that BGE stopped using meter readers about 8 years ago as they mailed my house key back to me. (nobody was home during the day, so BGE had to have a key)  I still get bills, so BGE is using something (probably truck mounted) to read my electric and gas meters (both are inside).
My gas meter is inside. Washington Gas has a remote reader device, that they can read from the street.
they came a few years ago to change it out with a somewhat newer model.
I don't know exactly how it works, but I guess there is some sort of long-life battery inside (unless it uses the rotation of the little cog that drives the wheels to charge a battery or a capacitor or something).

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »

My electric meter is in the workroom (west side) and the gas meter is in a closet (east side). Always has been that way as I grew up in the house and when my Mother re-married (my father dropped dead of 2 heart attacks (he was a heavy smoker) two weeks before my 21st birthday) and my wife and I moved in 1983 and raised our kids there.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

I scheduled an appointment for first thing next Monday morning, which will give me an opportunity to test my X10 system right away after the meter is installed (before the installer leaves). If something doesn't work, I'll ask the installer to put the old meter back.
Well, my plan didn't quite work out as I had hoped. Due to last weekend's storm, and my inept power company (Pepco), I didn't have any power on Monday morning (we were out from Friday night until Wednesday morning - 104 hours total).
So, I rescheduled for this coming Monday morning. I'll report back as soon as I can test it, with the model information and my results.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.