Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: XPS3/XPSS (WS13a/WS14) 3-way Problem - Really strange one.  (Read 9097 times)

evadorev

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: XPS3/XPSS (WS13a/WS14) 3-way Problem - Really strange one.
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »

a simple test to know if your neutral is broken is to measure the continuity between the neutral and ground, it should read around zero ohm with an electric meter (multimeter).  They are tied together in the electrical panel.

you should have 120 V (or around) between the ground and the live wire that comes from the remote switch.

If you press the switch and read between the neutral and the red one, you`re supposed to have 120 v and when you release the switch it should go to zero. Do this test on both ends of the wire to see if it`s the same, if it`s not, the red wire is broken. Ask someone to press the master when you do the test on the remote end.

Take care !!! all these tests should be done with breaker ON

Do you have more than one circuit who comes from the panel in these boxes ?
Mary had a little lamp, little lamp, controlled by X10 !!!! (kid song!!)

kamiller42

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »

Ok. I made some measurements. We might be on to something.

At remote end, where the master switch and the load is, resistance between ground and neutral is nearly 0 or 0. Voltage between line feed and ground is 0 when companion switch is not pressed. It goes live when the companion switch is held down.

As for the traveler, something odd here. Without pressing companion switch, it reads 125VAC, essentially live, but with no amps. When pressing companion switch, reading is the same. Its voltage never reads 0 between traveler and ground or neutral. I removed the traveler from the companion switch, and the reading for the traveler is still 125VAC at the master switch. When I measure the traveler, still disconnected, at the companion switch, it reads 0.

Ideas?

evadorev

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »

You should always have 120v  on the live feed on the master switch, it`s the way your master is powered. The only purpose of the XPSS is to give a strike on the red wire to the control screw of the master.

does the line feed and the black wire who goes to the master switch are on the same screw on the remote ?

try to put it together and plug back the red one on both ends.

Does this wire are plugged in the master <<live>> screw ?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 04:05:18 PM »

Voltage between line feed and ground is 0 when companion switch is not pressed. It goes live when the companion switch is held down.

Ideas?
Yes. What you are calling "Line Feed" must really be a traveller. So your "Line", "Live", "Hot", etc. must be on the champanion switch(?). I have not followed this thread well....when you made your measurements was the bulb in the fixture or removed? Should be removed initially to make sure you are not measuring a switched neutral through the bulb. (the hot line actually feeds the fixture first).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

evadorev

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

The remote switch are the closest in this setup, of the electrical line.

We call the live feed, in this case, the wires who supply power to the remote and the main switch (in this order). In this setup, it`s a traveller who plays this role. Live feed and traveller is the same wire.

Kamiller : instead of trying to fix x10 switches, you can try to make it work with real switches (mechanical), it will be easier to track down wich wire is defect,  or miswired.

If you want the plan, just check on the previous posts, i put a link for the schematics.

Hope it will help

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

We call the live feed, in this case, the wires who supply power to the remote and the main switch (in this order). In this setup, it`s a traveller who plays this role. Live feed and traveller is the same wire.
Yeah, I got that. But I wasn't clear about "traveller" The fact the companion switch controls voltage on the "line feed" means its not a "line feed" it is really the control line from the companion (a.k.a "traveller"). I think the companion switch is wired wrong. The "live" and the "line feed" needs to go to the companion switch feed through connections.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

kamiller42

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »

Rejoice! I shall say it again, rejoice!  :)

When y'all said the line feed should always have voltage, not the traveler, I start to wonder if it was possible the master switch's live wire was actually the traveler, as mentioned. It was hard to believe a red wire would become a black and a black wire red, so I tested the traveler wire using a cable probe. Sure enough, the red wire becomes the black. I put the red wire in the master's live position and the black wire in the traveler. Presto. It works!

Thank you guys for you patience and help!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.