Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New one camera system HELP  (Read 11127 times)

jmsrbrt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New one camera system HELP
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »

First time user of X10 software/cameras and I can say these are not plug-n-play. At least on my end. I'm using one X10 PRO daylight nanny cam camera with the VA12 USB video capture, and VR47A video receiver. Followed the instructions, but no video. Checked power, connections, un-installed the drivers and reinstalled the drivers. Still no video. Tried to see if the camera was set to A by removing the small rubber plug, but can't see any switch (I'm supposed to according to the instructions, to see if it is set properly...power supply is set to A1).  Called Tech Support, but I cannot sit on hold for 30 minutes, and emailed them but no response yet, so I thought I'd try this forum. PLEASE, please, please...someone give me some suggestions to try before everything goes back in the box. Respond here, or email jt20@txstate.edu.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: New one camera system HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »

The Pro 921MHz wireless cameras don't have any channel selection switch. They only have one.
Can you try and determine if it is the camera with receiver or the VR12A being the problem.
If you have a monitor or TV where you can try the composite video output of the receiver to see if you have video or not.
That would test the camera with receiver part of the setup.

jmsrbrt

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

I have it hooked to my PC monitor, and I don't understand "try the composite video output". Pretty simple setup instructions, but there is no folder where video is stored? Or still pictures? Or will it even take still pics?

jmsrbrt

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

Maybe I'm mis-understanding...did you suggest by "composite video output" to connect the video cable to a TV and not my PC via the USB cable?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »

Maybe I'm mis-understanding...did you suggest by "composite video output" to connect the video cable to a TV and not my PC via the USB cable?
The wireless cameras broadcast to the video receiver, which you then connect to whatever you plan to use to view the picture. If you look at that signal on something *other* than the VA12A (like a TV), you can make sure the camera / receiver combination is working properly, before trying to troubleshoot the VA12A. If you don't get a picture when you connect directly to the TV, then troubleshooting the VA12A and software will be a waste of time.

If you DO get a clear picture when you connect the receiver to a TV, then you can turn your attention to the VA12A and the software. Make sure you are installing the latest version.
Make sure you are plugging the VA12A into a USB 2.0 port. You said you were plugging it into your monitor - do you mean into the USB ports on your monitor? To use those, you'll need another cable connecting the USB "B" connector (the square one) to the PC. You might try connecting the VA12A directly to the PC first, to eliminate another possible problem area.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »

NO not the cable connection. A baseband video input to the TV if it has one. Like maybe a RCA type jack for composite video or a VCR video input.

jmsrbrt

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »

I don't have a TV I can use to trouble shoot at the moment, but I'll see if I can't locate one, but for now, I'm plugged into a USB port on the back of my computer. How do I tell if it's a "USB 2.0 port" like you suggest? I'm not plugging into my monitor by the way, but into a port on my computer tower.

Why don't I have an icon on my screen anyway? In the ALL PROGRAMS, I only see one X10 folder, and it has two files that redirect me back to X10 dot com. No other files in the folder.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

Does anything show up in the Device Manager when you connect it?
What model is listed on the interface?
I know recently X10 had to use a different IC in them and it needed a new driver.
Was called a VA13A but knowing X10 the label may say anything.  ???
The VA13A driver is on the Downloads page but I would wait until you can verify if you have a VA12A or VA13A.
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

jmsrbrt

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »

The VA12A driver shows up in Device Manager, and there is a label on the back of the unit saying VA12A also. That's the driver I downloaded. I need to get a TV to see if the problem is with the video adapter or something else. Probably reply back tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far. Everyone.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »

I believe the Nanny Cam comes with the Vanguard Internet Control Center software.
Here is the X10 wiki pages for that software.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Vanguard_Internet_Control_Center

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.