Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird problem  (Read 4055 times)

Nineteen68RS

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Weird problem
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »

Hi All,

I have a strange problem that just started.  I use X10 to control my fishtank for about 6 years now.  I have a CM15a with reg 3 pin appliance modules for lights and other things.  Recently I have an issue where house code A3 will not shut off.....about every 3 or 4 days.  I have Active Home connected via USB to the CM15a and can flip the switch to off and nothing happens on A3 but 1 and 2 work fine.  I also have the RF wall plate that I can flip the switch and see it change in AH but still the module won't shut off.  I have tried 2 CM15a's since I always had a backup and still doesn't work.  I have even replaced the appliance module and it still won't respond.  What I have to do is unplug the module and then in the morning plug it back in and hit the switch and it shuts off.  It is almost like the code isn't getting there or locking the module up. I have 3 modules and the CM15a all on the same outlet (4' power strip under tank).  Anyone have any ideas?  I have tried different house codes as well still no joy.....just not making sense.  B:(

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Weird problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »

Hi All,

I have a strange problem that just started.  I use X10 to control my fishtank for about 6 years now.  I have a CM15a with reg 3 pin appliance modules for lights and other things.  Recently I have an issue where house code A3 will not shut off.....about every 3 or 4 days.  I have Active Home connected via USB to the CM15a and can flip the switch to off and nothing happens on A3 but 1 and 2 work fine.  I also have the RF wall plate that I can flip the switch and see it change in AH but still the module won't shut off.  I have tried 2 CM15a's since I always had a backup and still doesn't work.  I have even replaced the appliance module and it still won't respond.  What I have to do is unplug the module and then in the morning plug it back in and hit the switch and it shuts off.  It is almost like the code isn't getting there or locking the module up. I have 3 modules and the CM15a all on the same outlet (4' power strip under tank).  Anyone have any ideas?  I have tried different house codes as well still no joy.....just not making sense.  B:(
From your post, is sounds like the "A3" code isn't getting through, only during certain hours (at night, the way I read it). You might have something else that is creating enough noise to prevent the codes from getting through. What else is on during that time? Have you recently added any electronics in your home, or replaced any CFL bulbs? Might you have one that comes on at night (an outdoor light, perhaps) that is starting to go bad? Try turning off anything that might be new, or any CFLs you have, and see if the problem goes away? It might be noise coming in from a neighbor's house, too (I had that).

Nineteen68RS

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

WOW Thank you I never thought of CFL's causing the issue.....your right I just replaced my outside floods with CFLs and honestly I think that is about the time I started having the issue.  I'm going to turn the outside floods off tonight and see if it works....the only problem is like it said it is about every 3-4 days so it is def not consistent.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »

WOW Thank you I never thought of CFL's causing the issue.....your right I just replaced my outside floods with CFLs and honestly I think that is about the time I started having the issue.  I'm going to turn the outside floods off tonight and see if it works....the only problem is like it said it is about every 3-4 days so it is def not consistent.
Line noise has a cumulative effect, so this can be a "straw that broke the camel's back" type of situation. The lights, coupled with other things, might be creating enough noise on the line to interfere. Perhaps one of the other noise generators is not on all the time (other lights, chargers, computer power supplies, motors, etc can all create noise that can add up). Trying to figure it out can be really tough. It is harder to filter out lights (unless they plug into outlets, or you can wire in an inline filter). You may have other issues (like signals trying to cross from one phase to another, etc).
Depending on your exact circumstances, you might have good results doing a combination of some (or all) of the following:
- Filter noisy devices
- replace "noisy" CFL bulbs with "quieter" ones
- install a signal bridge or repeater (I personally recommend Jeff Volp's XTB-IIR, but that is certainly the most expensive option)
- move your CM15A to a different outlet, on the same phase (or even the same circuit) as the devices you are having trouble controlling
- move "noisy" devices to other outlets / circuits to put some distance between the noise and the devices you are trying to control

Every situation is different, and there is no one "right answer." It will probably take a little trial-and-error, but if it was working fine for 6 years, it is probably something that can be fixed.

One other thought (before anyone else posts it here) - did your utility company recently install a SmartMeter on your house? If so, please let us know the utility company's name, the meter's make and model, and your location (city/state). We are collecting statistics on different SmartMeter models, and the possible effects they can have on X10 systems.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »

What I have to do is unplug the module and then in the morning plug it back in and hit the switch and it shuts off. 
Besides Noam's great advice, consider the device being controlled by AM A3 as getting noisy. The action described above would indicate A3 device becoming noisy after it has been ON for a period of time. Unplugging module allows the controlled device to cool, so next morning the signal can get through to the AM. An easy conformation is to see if A3 works normally right after it comes ON, then try it again a few hours later after the A3 device heats up (a solid state ballast tube style flourescent light or CFL is a perfect suspect for this behavior.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Nineteen68RS

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »

Thanks Dave and Noam.

A3 is a Metal Halide bulb for my tank which always worked before.  The whole thing that makes no sense to me is that ALL the modules and CM15a are on the same outlet not just phase.  Maybe the MH ballast is doing the damage then......I'm going to try and remove the MH and see if I can keep controlling it without issue.

Thanks for the help

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »

Thanks Dave and Noam.

A3 is a Metal Halide bulb for my tank which always worked before.  The whole thing that makes no sense to me is that ALL the modules and CM15a are on the same outlet not just phase.  Maybe the MH ballast is doing the damage then......I'm going to try and remove the MH and see if I can keep controlling it without issue.

Thanks for the help

You could try unplugging the devices from the appliance modules, and see if you can control the appliance modules with no loads on them (you can listen for the click, or plug in a simple incandescent night-light for testing).
If that works fine, then one of the devices might be adding enough noise to cause the problem. Use a plug-in filter on that device, AFTER the appliance module (you may need a short extension cord or two to make all the right-angle plugs fit into each other).

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »

Thanks Dave and Noam.

Thanks for the help
HHMMM!!!!
A metal halide lamp is and arc lamp!  ANY type of arc discharge lamp COULD create ALOT of noise.  PLUS if the ballast is solid state (SMPS) THAT could have a noise block (capacitor/inductor) across the line so that any switching noise would not leave the SMPS BUT that same cap REALLY sucks PLC signals as well!!!!
  Other devices that are similar are computer power supplies, battery chargers (cell phones), even my Dad's refrigerator REALLY sucked his signal!!!!  I verified this with JeffV's XTBM meter!!!  (a REAL life saver!)
  So take a look at the lamp and it's ballast... I bet it is a smps and NOT an iron choke!

Nineteen68RS

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »

OK it is def the MH ballast or bulb.......so I got a filter and put it in between the appliance module and the MH ballast but still no joy.  I put a powerstrip to the appliance module then plugged the filter into that.  If i flip the power off on the power strip the appliance module will work.  I guess I need to look into a new ballast.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »

Was the filter designed for X10 signal use?
Most filters that are not designed for X10 will absorb X10 signals as noise.

Nineteen68RS

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »

Yes, it was an X10 XPPF filter.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »

Yes, it was an X10 XPPF filter.
Try using two.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.