Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Future of X10  (Read 136755 times)

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
The Future of X10
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »

The purpose of this post is to address some of the speculation that has been on this forum over the last few months, and to provide some insight into where X10 is heading.

X10 in the US previously purchased all products ranging from home automation, security, and cameras from a single factory. Early last year, that factory ceased production and shut down. Since we relied on that single factory, it created a serious problem for us.

Since that time, we have been working hard to obtain products that will provide the best value to our customers. In some cases, we found an alternate factory to produce the existing items, some products will be replaced with superior items (such as our IP cameras), and we will bring on new items (such as tablet PCs, wireless intercoms, and the video door ID). 

We will be continuing to produce the following groups of items:

1)   Home Automation: We intend to continue to supply the core components that we always have. We currently have many of these items in stock and many of the remaining items are in production. Our product line of HA products is limited for now, but the core items will remain available. Over the past 6 months, we have invested a significant amount of money to have the existing modules produced again. We fully intend to continue supporting the X10 protocol. 
2)   CM15A: This item is an important item in our automation product line, however, at this time we are not able to produce it at a cost that consumers will be willing to pay. Rather than producing an item that will not sell, we will be putting our resources into developing a new and better product to replace the CM15A, we hope to release the new item during the 2nd half of 2012.  For now, the CM19A will be the replacement for the CM15A.
3)   Security systems: The SC1200 and accessories are being produced and are now available for immediate shipment.

We have had a difficult time over the last year, and we would like to thank all of the customers and forum members that have remained with us during this time.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: The Future of X10
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »

........... we will be putting our resources into developing a new and better product to replace the CM15A, we hope to release the new item during the 2nd half of 2012. 

YES!!!!  

The best news I've seen in a long time! Now what you need to do is start a thread for ideas on what might make a better (yet value orientated product).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »

That sounds great.   My CM15A is the one I got six years ago when I upgraded to Windows XP, my old PC played havoc with serial ports under XP which rendered my CM11A (and Active Home) pretty well useless, so I upgraded to AHP and the CM15A.  I picked up a spare CM15A recently from Automatic Electric as insurance if my original CM15 died.   My wife loves X10, we never come home to a dark house.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »

Thank you X10RD! Glad someone finally cleared the air! #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »

All though a thread for Ideas is good.
There are already wish list threads that have been started to suggest improvements.
Even a thread created by a former X10 staff member for improving AHP.

I just hope a beta test group is created before this new replacement is thrown out there.
I also hope it has users in it who will actually have some input and that will be listened to.
I know from running a few beta test groups myself, input is hard to get from some testers.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »

2)   CM15A: This item is an important item in our automation product line, however, at this time we are not able to produce it at a cost that consumers will be willing to pay. Rather than producing an item that will not sell, we will be putting our resources into developing a new and better product to replace the CM15A, we hope to release the new item during the 2nd half of 2012.  For now, the CM19A will be the replacement for the CM15A.

I wonder where X10 got the information that production costs + profit margin > consumer willingness to pay.
This, of course, raises more speculation about where X10 does their consumer research.

The CM19A is not really a replacement for a CM15A. A replacement should have AT LEAST the same processing power. This is akin to X10 discontinuing the Airpad range and selling an abacus as a replacement - yes, I know it's a stretch, but I love extreme comparisons :)

I applaud the direction that X10 is headed with this new information re a new and improved 'CM15A' (new part number please), but with the  months of non-information I have to wonder if this announcement is officially sanctioned, or if we should just throw it under the 'unfounded rumour' category.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »

Depot:

Please tell Dave Rye that we are all cheering.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »

...... The CM19A is not really a replacement for a CM15A. A replacement should have AT LEAST the same processing power.

The CM19A could have some real usefulness... if X10 they would supply the needed drivers and software for it that would allow androd tablets and ipads to operate it. At least then... we could get excited about having an affordable touchpad that would control X10.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »

I wonder where X10 got the information that production costs + profit margin > consumer willingness to pay.
This, of course, raises more speculation about where X10 does their consumer research.

The CM19A is not really a replacement for a CM15A. A replacement should have AT LEAST the same processing power. This is akin to X10 discontinuing the Airpad range and selling an abacus as a replacement - yes, I know it's a stretch, but I love extreme comparisons :)

I applaud the direction that X10 is headed with this new information re a new and improved 'CM15A' (new part number please), but with the  months of non-information I have to wonder if this announcement is officially sanctioned, or if we should just throw it under the 'unfounded rumour' category.

I am a long time manager at X10 and I do have the knowledge and authority to report the information that I post. I will not intentionally post information that I do not believe to be correct.

That being said, I will not provide information that will harm X10 (i.e. specific information on newly developed and unreleased items). There is also no way that I am going post information regarding how we made particular business decision.

cmtbiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »

I am so glad to see this announcement. Thank you for giving us light to the future of X10.  Like I have been saying, I love all the X10 products and especially with the CM15A.  We will all hope that we will see the new and hopefully improved versions of CM15A soon.   >!

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »

Kudos for disclosing information about recent events and future directions.  I'm more likely to make X10 product purchases instead of sitting on fence speculating what is going on with the product lines.  Usually these types of setbacks make for stronger and more focused companies at end of the day.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »

... I'm more likely to make X10 product purchases instead of sitting on fence speculating what is going on with the product lines.  

I think many of us are thinking the same thing. Well said!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »

Funny how a positive bit of news from a X10 staff member calms all the Doomsdayers.
Not that I'm complaining as I was getting tired of all the doom and gloom posts.
Maybe now some of these Doomsdayers will start posting some uplifting HA stories like they use to.
If only X10 had done this from the start! ::) :'
Hopefully X10 continues to keep us informed!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »

Since X10 Repair Depot is a X10 long time employee, it's nice to get proper news. He's not going to promise specific news, but he is here  and will "Tell the Truth".
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »

I too, like others here, REALLY felt like I had lost a long time friend when X10 stopped selling the CM15A (NOT the kit), as well as the newer lamp modules and wall switches, and the prices doubled and tripled!
   I guess from this latest news, that there is a ray of hope, and my opinion of X10 has been raised once again!
   I really hope that this news is NOT a come-on or a hoax (X10 has done this in the past soooo many times, that I am kind of gun shy with any news of improvement).
   I also HOPE that X10 marketing gets their act together, and creates an effort to improve their response times to us purchasers of products.  That has been a BIG complaint as well (just look at others that have posted their horror stories!).
   More effort has to be put towards the software as well, and X10 needs to make changes to their business to keep the programmers, rather than frustrate them to the point that they leave X10 in a short period of time.
   Lets hope that X10 gets their act together and with a little effort and expense, creates a company that is responsive to their customers wishes.
   I cannot believe that all of us that have been using X10 for YEARS (35+ years myself, started with the brown lamp/appliance module "starter kit" for PJTruman), would NOT be willing to pay a little more for an improved product!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.