Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: redirection of PC audio from 1 PC to another  (Read 7307 times)

aussie mate

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
redirection of PC audio from 1 PC to another
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to redirect the audio out from 1 PC across the LAN to another PC?
There seems to be a few programs out there that will do this but none seem to work the way I want.

I am trying to get the BVC announcements from my main HA PC (XP) to be heard on a wall mounted touch screens (WIN 7).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: redirection of PC audio from 1 PC to another
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »

I am trying to get the BVC announcements from my main HA PC (XP) to be heard on a wall mounted touch screens (WIN 7).

Interesting. I wonder though if it might not be easier to use your spare CM15A (or maybe even a CM19A) to hear the XP activated CM15A commands... and then play them through the win7. Or.... just wire the sound output of home automation PC into the output of the win7. You shouldn't need to replace the output... just tap into it with a "Y" adapter.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »

Interesting. I wonder though if it might not be easier to use your spare CM15A (or maybe even a CM19A) to hear the XP activated CM15A commands... and then play them through the win7. Or.... just wire the sound output of home automation PC into the output of the win7. You shouldn't need to replace the output... just tap into it with a "Y" adapter.

Wouldn't he need to wire the OUTPUT of the Home Automation PC into the INPUT of the touch screen PC?

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »

Wouldn't he need to wire the OUTPUT of the Home Automation PC into the INPUT of the touch screen PC?

Yes that would work but It could take some wire pulling depending on where they are located, but daves idea will work as well if the other interface sees the x10 commands it can act on them as well

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

No... output to output is what I meant. Basically just using the touchscreens speakers. I don't think... there would be enough amperage there to harm the win7 PC's soundcard.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:00:21 PM by HA Dave »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »

No... output to output is what I meant. Basically just using the touchscreens speakers. I don't think... there would be enough amperage there to harm the win7 PC's soundcard.
Would plugging into the touch-screen's OUTPUT jacks disable any built-in speakers?

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »

Would plugging into the touch-screen's OUTPUT jacks disable any built-in speakers?

Oh... sorry. The New PC output that drives the touchscreen... becomes/is the same as... the touchscreens input. So I would try wiring the Old PC's output to the touchscreens input. But... I am guessing that there is more than one touchscreen at different locations. So to save on fishing wire... I would make the connection at the new PC's audio output.

And no... it wouldn't disable anything. I would use a "Y" type connection... and just let the two PCs share those speakers.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.