Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Personal Assistance Voice Dialer Pa5800 pendent transmitter...  (Read 7458 times)

VV Caregivers

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I am a volunteer that is involved in a a non profit, support organization that has several hundred of these units that we loan out to individuals in need, at no cost.

http://www.x10.com/security/pa5800_s.html

Recently X-10 has discontinued there production of this unit, which has put us in a bind. Sometimes when we get the unit back, the heart shaped pendent, the 310mhz transmitter, does not return with the unit for various reasons. Thus making the unit itself inoperative. We are trying to find a substitute transmitter that is small enough to wear, or attach to a wheelchair or walker, and is simple to use, that will operate the base unit.

We have researched and found one that might work.. same frequency, 310mhz, but comes with an 8 dip switch that can be set for 256 codes.
As I understand it, and may be wrong, these codes are a pulse sequence that transmit the frequency in a manner that the base unit then is activated by it.

Is there any way to find out the code for this pa5800 unit?
Does anyone know of another small transmitter that would work with this unit?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Personal Assistance Voice Dialer Pa5800 pendent transmitter...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »

The pendent can use 256 codes. Generated randomly when initialized.
I doubt any other brand pendent will work. Even if it used the same 310MHz frequency.
You may want to do a web search for the HP564 pendent.
I did find one dealer still listing the pendent.
http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/hp564.html

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:55:37 AM »

I am a volunteer that is involved in a a non profit, support organization that has several hundred of these units that we loan out to individuals in need, at no cost.

http://www.x10.com/security/pa5800_s.html

Recently X-10 has discontinued there production of this unit, which has put us in a bind. Sometimes when we get the unit back, the heart shaped pendent, the 310mhz transmitter, does not return with the unit for various reasons. Thus making the unit itself inoperative. We are trying to find a substitute transmitter that is small enough to wear, or attach to a wheelchair or walker, and is simple to use, that will operate the base unit.

We have researched and found one that might work.. same frequency, 310mhz, but comes with an 8 dip switch that can be set for 256 codes.
As I understand it, and may be wrong, these codes are a pulse sequence that transmit the frequency in a manner that the base unit then is activated by it.

Is there any way to find out the code for this pa5800 unit?
Does anyone know of another small transmitter that would work with this unit?

VV Caregivers,

This watch will function similarly to the Heart Pendant.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/wr10a_w_ed_1m_promo.html
The actual color is black, not white as shown.

VV Caregivers

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

Brian .. thanks for the reply... we have checked with several companies, but not this specific one, there all 'out of stock', but we will check this one, and see if we get lucky.

X-10 Repair Depot... hmmm it does say..    "Works with Protector Plus or Personal Alert System" 
   will research it some more and see how many they got left... right now we need 26 pendents. That's the number of units that we have tested and are functioning, but have no pendents... sounds like anything with that line is being closed out.

VV Caregivers

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »

Dang...  so Brian your saying that, for a FACT that the 256 codes are randomly generated. Therefore each time that the pendent's button is pressed, and the 'handshake' is acknowledged by the ding of the unit when in the install position. 

If so that's seems like its going to make it impossible to work a substitute.
Yet if there is one code in the transmitter and the base unit is searching to 'hear' it, why would it not respond?
Why would the transmitter have to be random also?

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

X-10 Repair Depot... hmmm it does say..    "Works with Protector Plus or Personal Alert System" 
   will research it some more and see how many they got left... right now we need 26 pendents. That's the number of units that we have tested and are functioning, but have no pendents... sounds like anything with that line is being closed out.

I manage X10's order fulfillment warehouse. We have plenty of them remaining.

The PA5800 has been discontinued, but a new item (the SC1200) will provide similar functionality. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »

The code is generated when the battery is installed. Some security remotes you have to push a test button after installing the battery. I don't believe the pendent has a test sequence to generate a new code.

When you register the pendent to the console. It learns the code. It does not randomly change. X10s pendents use a unique X10 security code. I doubt anyone else would try and use.

Unless it is an X10 security remote or one made by X10 as an OEM for another company. It is almost a 100% chance it will not work.

VV Caregivers

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »

Brian...
Well a substitute doesn't look like it will work... 
 :-\  Nuts!

X-10 Repair Depot...

You don't happen to have a box of XTHP564 (X10 Heart Shaped Call Pendant), hidden in a back corner in that warehouse of yours do you?     ;)

Looked into your suggestion SC1200 but that appears for home security, and does not appear to be applicable to our needs.

Were more into individual well being. As in the neighbor has fallen and cannot get to a telephone. Cell phones in our area, because of the terrain, may not function properly in some cases. People who have dementia and the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, when in crisis may have difficulty in operating a cell phone, especially if they get an answering machine, and have to make another call. That, and in some cases, the monthly fee expense for some, does not make it a option.

So our needs are based on the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple Stupid) It seems to work the best.

We are in the process of trying to find another system, and if I misunderstood your suggestion, SC 1200, or if you have another that you think would work, please let us know.

thanks for your time and responses ...

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »

I would not dismiss the possibility of a substitute without some investigation. It is quite simple to capture the signal and there are a couple of keychain remotes for garage doors (available from Amazon for $10) that use 310MHz and have DIP switches for 256 (or more) codes. I would compare the sequences before giving up on a substitute although it may be (probable) that the pulse/space timing and code lengths are too different.

See this page for how to capture the signal.

You can find suitable 315MHz receivers on this page (some links may be outdated)...

The RM1SG receiver is also ideal. Search ebay for it. It's usually available for $3-4. Get a 315MHz receiver and tune it for 310MHz - also quite simple. I can answer any questions you might have. I have some 310MHz receivers on hand. PM me if you want one. I can try to do the testing for you but it would be best if you do it so you understand it plus I'm very busy and have medical appointments that also take much of my time.

I am not familiar with the X10 device or its cost. There are reasonably priced systems with pendant that dial 911 (or other numbers) over a land line or even over VOIP connections like magicJack/magicJack+ (and maybe Skype). The VA gives this unit to veterans who need it.

T-Mobile has pay-as-you-go plans for as little as $10 for 30 minutes (good for 90 days) and inexpensive cell phones ($30) that are also excellent for emergency communication. No land line or VOIP needed.

EDIT: I hadn't seen your bit about cell phones being inappropriate for your location. They are still a good option in more cell friendly areas.

It just dawned on me that I might be able to write a µController program to send the X10 codes. You could use it to replace the one in one of the garage door keyfobs.  Two caveats: Replacing the SMD chip is not simple (but not as tough as it might seem) and it depends on the type of µController used in the garage door remote.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:28:34 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

VV Caregivers

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply .. you give us hope.
I'm buried right now but a quick scan of the links shows promise.
I'm a rusty old tech that was trained to component level so there may be hope.   :D
I see your e-mail, so will be in touch.
Thanks so much.. p.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 03:45:45 PM »

I have this Linear 310MHz keyfob...

It has a 10 position dip switch so we may be unable to match codes. However, it uses a Sonix SN8P2501BSG SOP14 µController. If I can find a PIC or AVR with the Vdd & Vss pins in the same locations, I can write a program to send the correct codes. X10 has always used variations on the NEC IR protocol. All we need is to capture codes from one of the X10 pendants. While it isn't as easy to handle as a DIP chip, a $90 hot air gun can probably desolder the Sonix chip and solder our replacement in its place.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

VV Caregivers

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Ok.. we of course of existing X-10 pendents.
Will contact you directly.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »

VV Caregivers,

If no substitute is found, you could always cut the straps off the X10 watch and attach a neck lanyard, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mickydel

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »

I am in charge of our local Rotary Club's 'Medic Alert' program.  We've been using the PA 5800 as well and I have just found out they are discontinued.  Will these units be offered again at sometime in the near future.  We are in dire need of these machines as we have several senior shut ins in need.  We provide and maintain these units at no cost.  I understand another model is available but the cost is double.  Does anyone have any thoughts??  X10 has been useless as they are impossible to get hold of anyone either by email or phone.

Thanks in advance..... Mike

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

X10 Wireless Technologies went out of business months ago.
I believe the PA5800 was discontinued even before X10WTI went out of business.

The new owners have given some indications of what they can produce. Unfortunately many of the modules information was lost.
The last post in this thread gives some information on products that they maybe able to produce.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=688.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:05:55 AM by Brian H »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.