Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 - Europe  (Read 7574 times)

Phil1972

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 - Europe
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:50 AM »

Hi,
Apologies if this appears to be a fairly simple questions, but I have spent the best part of the day trying to work this out.
I am developing a X10 module (with receive and send capabilities), which is to be used @ 230V / 50Hz. It is meant to be a wall mount module, which is plugged into a wall.
My understanding is the the X10 signal is carried by the Live wire and not Neutral.

The problem I am having is that in mainland Europe the power plugs can be connected either way round, as the physical shape does not enforce a certain way of connection, as is in the UK.

How does one design the hardware in a cost effective way to allow for Live and Neutral to be connected either way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated & once again apologies if I am asking something too simple here...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 - Europe
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »

Have you tried sending the PLC down the neutral wire? It should still work. Google "Kirkoff's Law".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »

As Dave said, it doesn't matter which way the plug is inserted as the signal is differential across the two wires.  Which wire it appears to be on depends on your reference point.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »

There are numerous X10 schematics that may be of use on this page...
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.