Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I use XPFM2 for 120v load?  (Read 5474 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can I use XPFM2 for 120v load?
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »

Hello
I need to install an outside CFL flood light fixture which will not have a manual switch. My controlling options: a photocell, or X10 XPFM. Is there another x10 module I can use? Sure, I could use 2 socket rockets, but I think that would be a dumb way to do it (and expensive).

I see an XPFM2 on ebay much cheaper than the XPFM, so I ask if I can use it with regular 110v. It is rated for 20A/240, but I should be able to use it on 15a/120, right?

thanks,

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Can I use XPFM2 for 120v load?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »

No.
Internal electronics of switch is designed to work on 240V
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nabril15

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »

ok. aside from the XPFM or using a photocell, can you think of or suggest any other type of manual-switchless control of these lights? The XPFM is going for around 30 in most stores, and I'd like to not have to spend that much; I see, however, that I may not have another choice. I am even more afraid that it wont fit inside a normal, round, external junction box; it looks like it will be really tight in there leaving little room for cables.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:46:11 PM »

Dimensions are on the users installation sheet.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpfm.pdf

The X10 WS13A or X10Pro XPS3 wall switches can also do CFLs but need a neutral power connection in the switches box.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:49:56 PM by Brian H »

nabril15

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »

thank u Brian. I have to do this without a switch since i am getting power from an outside single gang outlet box. i guess i could replace it with a double gang box and install an xps3; though those have gone up in price, they are cheaper than the xpfm.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »

Most of the X10 modules prices are going up.
With X10 changing its business model for things like tablets and third party cameras with X10 logos. Many of the X10 devices are now discontinued or what is left is at a premium.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:44 AM »

thank u Brian. I have to do this without a switch since i am getting power from an outside single gang outlet box. i guess i could replace it with a double gang box and install an xps3; though those have gone up in price, they are cheaper than the xpfm.
Replacing the box is a better way to go, although more work. The wall switch switch gives you local control in the event the X10 signal can't get through. (if you are new to X10 you will understand that statement in a week or two). Also the switch has a mechanical disconnet which removes power from the switch and the fixture, for safety when changing bulbs.

nabril15

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »

thank you dave. The existing single gang box is attached to the exterior of the house with 2 metal rivets. They are really diffiicult to get to because of the narrowness  of the box. How can I pull those out?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »

They are probably riveting the box to a metal bracket that is screwed into a stud.  I don't know if you would be able to get the plate out if you were to remove the rivets.  However, removing rivets can be done in 1 of 3 ways.

1) Drill - Only works if you have access, which you probably would not in this case.
2) Cut - Potentially difficult, but you could try to cut the end of the rivet off using something like a multifunction power tool.  I've used one of these to cut a ridge out of an electrical box so I could fit a larger X10 switch in (XPT as I recall).
3) Grind - Sand or grind the head off with whatever tool you can.  I've used a combination of a multifunction power tool and a file to remove a rivet head before.

Again, your real problem IMO is once you get the rivet out.  At that point, you will likely have a metal bracket that you probably won't be able to easily remove.  If all else fails, you could always remove a small section of wall around the box, but that may be beyond your comfort level and it depends on how the wall was constructed.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »

The existing single gang box is attached to the exterior of the house with 2 metal rivets. They are really diffiicult to get to because of the narrowness  of the box.
O-o-h you have made the project a lot more complicated. You might want to reconsider the XPFM price vs how much labor you are going to put in this.

nabril15

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »

I know Dave.

It's getting really difficult to find the XPFM, so I may have to go the xps3 way, and rip those rivets out somehow. Since this box is on the outside of the house, I feel that the rivets go right into the concrete block. Therefore, it should not be too difficult to cut them or yank them out somehow. The hard part is getting a big hand inside a single gang box so as to get some strength and leverage to take them out.

However, paying $35 for the XPS3 sort of hurts since i paid $10 for some of them 6 months ago. Yes, I know, the factory burned, etc... SInce the XPFM is in the same price range, now I just have to decide how much work I want to do, and if I want to trust my wiring from 1980 to property send a signal to the XPFM, if I install it.

thanks all

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »

I have a couple of the Leviton version left.  Contact me by a private message if you are still looking for one.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.