Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LEDs and wall switches  (Read 6436 times)

gossamer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LEDs and wall switches
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »

Hi,

I just purchased a few of those LED flood lights that replace the standard incandescent lights found in hi-hats, and having some issues.

I understand you can't use them with fluorescents, but I thought they worked with the LED replacement lights?

The switches (WS467) are much cheaper than the WS13a switches, so I was hoping to be able to use them.

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Dave

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: LEDs and wall switches
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »

The WS467 steals power through the load.
Most LED bulbs will not work with a WS467.
The WS13A is a relay type switch that does not steal power through the load and also requires a neutral power wire connection.

Are the LED bulbs dimmable?

gossamer

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »

The WS467 steals power through the load.
Most LED bulbs will not work with a WS467.
The WS13A is a relay type switch that does not steal power through the load and also requires a neutral power wire connection.

Are the LED bulbs dimmable?

Yes, they are dimmable.

The LEDs also work to some extent with the WS467 switches, but my wife complains they sometimes flicker and other times don't turn on the first time.

They have a ground, which I've connected, but no neutral. They basically just screw into the incandescent socket.

I believe it is this product:

http://www.lsgc.com/interior_led_lighting/glimpse/

Thanks,
Dave

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »

When you had the original incandescent bulbs in place. Did they ramp On and Off indicating the WS467 was a newer Soft Start type? That also may have the Resume Dim feature.

If more than one bulb is controlled by the switch. Leaving one incandescent may correct the problem or wiring in a small night light bulb may
also.

When I mentioned a neutral. I was thinking of the switches electrical box as the WS13A {X10Pro XPS3} doesn't steal power through the bulbs and uses the Line and Neutral from the branch circuit itself.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:23:58 AM by Brian H »

gossamer

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »

When you had the original incandescent bulbs in place. Did they ramp On and Off indicating the WS467 was a newer Soft Start type? That also may have the Resume Dim feature.

Yes, they must be the soft start type.

If more than one bulb is controlled by the switch. Leaving one incandescent may correct the problem or wiring in a small night light bulb may  also.

Yes, we're doing this in the bedroom with CFLs, but don't really want to do it in the kitchen for aesthetics reasons.

When I mentioned a neutral. I was thinking of the switches electrical box as the WS13A {X10Pro XPS3} doesn't steal power through the bulbs and uses the Line and Neutral from the branch circuit itself.

How does this help?

Thanks for any ideas,
Dave

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »

The neutral in the switch box allows the WS13A to not steal power through the load. Making it work with CFLs, LowVoltage Lights and LED Lights. The small current needed to run the WS467 does not cause the LEDs electronics to try and run. Causing pulsing and flickering.

Soft start also ramps the voltage and down. That maybe why sometimes yours don't start reliably.

The WS13A also does not dim so you don't have to worry about some bulb models electronics not liking the power supplied to it. Even at 100% the AC is slightly modified with a WS467 or WS12A.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:09:41 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.