Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEED A LOUDER CHIME OR (ALERT)  (Read 9388 times)

shyboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
NEED A LOUDER CHIME OR (ALERT)
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

I am using a " big red button " and transceiver and chime. This is the same chime that is used with the motion sensor driveway alert.. Problem; I'M AN OLD FART and the chime is not loud enough... How can I rig up a Bell or Buzzer or Something ( momentary) that will help out an old guy?
Your help would be appreciated..

Peter

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: NEED A LOUDER CHIME OR (ALERT)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »

The KR15A Big Red Button only sends an On signal when the button is pushed and no Off follows.
So somethings like an appliance module with a chime connected would turn On and never go Off. Not what you wanted.

The UM506 Universal Module can be set to Momentary On. I tried one and after it goes Off by itself. The next On from a KR15A will again turn it On momentarily.
Its low voltage switch could be used to turn On a low voltage sounder.
I will try a few more tests and see if I can find something fairly easy to connect together.

The other problem I just thought of. The X10 UM506 or X10Pro PUM01 are discontinued and maybe still only found on a few independent automation dealers sites.  ???
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:35:31 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »

The UM506 Universal Module can be set to Momentary On. I tried one and after it goes Off by itself. The next On from a KR15A will again turn it On momentarily.

Doesn't the UM506 also have a nice loud signal as well? Maybe that... along with a couple more regular chimes might be all the OP needs to hear the door bell.

But coming from a family with a history of hearing problems... I wonder if just adding more sound is really a good solution. If the UM506 triggered a strobe as well.... if that might be more useful. Has the OP already added a flasher to the phones ringer? Or maybe an amplifier for the phone?

I also dug out a Big Red Button... and tried a couple different things. I haven't come up with anything that I feel worth sharing. Thinking in terms that would fit my lifestyle... I think flashing lights and maybe something that would mute the TV or Radio. But I haven't figured out a simple way of doing this... without a CM15A. A device like THIS ONE could be helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »

The UM506 does have a sounder in it and the large clunk of the mechanical switch. My ears are also not the best and it didn't sound too loud to me.

HA Dave;
I do  like the device your linked to.
Sometimes X10 isn't the best solution

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »

..... Sometimes X10 isn't the best solution

I'd jump in with my CM15A for a solution if it was for me. The OP didn't mention owning any other X10 devices. And since the CM15A isn't available right now... I didn't include it in any solutions. But I also don't mind using whatever is helpful and useful in my setup.

I wouldn't hesitate to use devices intended as solutions for impairments or disability's, myself. The more mainstream those devices are made the easier they are to find and the more competitive the prices will become. I also use a warning light even though I have a voice announcements with my setup (as seen in my YouTube Video).

I even found a wireless doorbell strobe receiver that also has/works with a chimed wireless doorbell. I use the chimed receiver upstairs and the strobe doorbell receiver in my [basement] Home Theater [as watching a movie can drown out the upstairs chime]. The strobe is always an attention getter.

Whereas many of us are born with hearing issues or have hearing loss during our younger years... loss of hearing associated with age is also normal and very common. One of my favorite things about my home automation is the increased situational awareness the setup gives me. Other less automated solutions are useful too. Things like hanging or placing mirrors that extend views (or reflect a flashing light) can be useful.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:29:57 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

shyboy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »

Thank you all.. Actually this is for an office front door for people with disabilities... ie "push the button".. In a regular office enviroment (phones, printers etc) it is very hard to hear unless you are in an area near the chime.. The strobe wouldn't work for me.
The perfect deal would be a lamp type module that is momentary with an ajustable on time.. like 1-60 seconds.
Topo bad x 10 doesn't make a momentary module. Any more suggestions would be appreciated even if I have to buy another wireless doorbell from another source.
Thanks again

Peter

shyboy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »

OK... I want to thank you and end this thread... I said the hell with it and went to Ebay. I just bought a wireless doorbell... I hope it is louder... I think it will be..

Thanks again

Peter

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.