Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: uninstall AHP in win7  (Read 7926 times)

Mavrik

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
uninstall AHP in win7
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »

How on earth does one uninstall AHP in win7?  When I try to uninstall it, win7 says it's already uninstalled.

Why? It crashes anytime I try to do certain things like download timers. I installed the latest version just today because the older version crashed too.

Bob A.

Re: uninstall AHP in win7
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »

How on earth does one uninstall AHP in win7?  When I try to uninstall it, win7 says it's already uninstalled.

New poster here!

I just ran into this myself. I d/l'ed AHP because I just learned that it now supports the CM11A, and the old AH wouldn't run on Windows 7 64-bit. I assume that you are also running 64-bit Win7. This is the reason for your problem.

AHP's Setup uses the WISE package installer. Unfortunately, it installs the file UNWISE.EXE for uninstallation purposes. This is a 16-bit application, which will not run in 64-bit Win7. You will need to search the web to find a copy of UNWISE32.EXE (this WILL run on 64-bit Win), and copy it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Now, go to your ActiveHome Pro directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveHome Pro) and look for the file: INSTALL.LOG  -  open this up and search for the area that deals with uninstalling. For instance:

----------

RegDB Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ActiveHomePro
RegDB Val: C:\Windows\UNWISE.EXE C:\PROGRA~2\ACTIVE~1\Install.log
RegDB Name: UninstallString

----------

The 2nd line above is the key. Open a Command Prompt (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt) and type in the following (given the above 2nd line):

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\UNWISE32.EXE C:\PROGRA~2\ACTIVE~1\Install.log

Notice that you are using your new UNWISE32 instead of the original UNWISE.

This will start the uninstaller that most are familiar with, and will remove the AHP software.

Good luck!

Bob

mgmforums

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »

Now, go to your ActiveHome Pro directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveHome Pro) and look for the file: INSTALL.LOG

But what if you can't find INSTALL.LOG?

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit and I've decided to move this off my computer and onto my wife's 32 Bit machine.  I attempt to uninstall ActiveHome Pro from my machine and get the message:

"An error occurred while trying to uninstall ActiveHome Pro.  It may have already been uninstalled.  Would you like to remove ActiveHome Pro from the Programs and Features list?"

I followed the X10 Wiki instruction (found at this link:  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/ActiveHome_Pro_Software_Crashes_After_Several_Minutes) to reinstall the latest version of AHP.  When that didn't work, I deleted the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveHome Pro and installed the program again.  And again, I could not uninstall it.  I found a copy of unwise32.exe at this site http://downloads2.esri.com/support/techArticles/unwise32.zip and copied it to my System32 folder but I can't make the changes you're suggesting because I can't find INSTALL.LOG.  I have also addressed Folder Options to show hidden files and I've done a Windows search that found no local file results.

Any productive suggestions are appreciated!

Mike

win7 pro
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:40:18 AM by mgmforums »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

On my Win7 PC Install.log is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveHome Pro) folder.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

mgmforums

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »

On my Win7 PC Install.log is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveHome Pro) folder.

I just installed this program a week ago, but the INSTALL.LOG file is not in my (x86) folder.  I'm hoping someone else knows what's going on and can help. Probably be easier just to roll my computer back to before it was installed.  Thanks for your input anyway, Dan.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »

You can just delete AHP and any other folders it creates in Win7 and then delete the folders, then reinstall AHP again. Windows won't throw a hissy fit.  I've have to do it twice since getting a Win7 PC.  Be sure to back up your .ahx files before you do the deletions.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:42:24 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

mgmforums

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Dan, I did what you suggested and deleted the AHP folder and reinstalled the program.  Install.log was there.

In retrospect, I didn't really need to review the Install.log file anyway - all I needed to do was find unwise32 and copy it into my System32 folder, then copy and paste the command in Bob's post.

The uninstall didn't remove the shortcuts or the folder, but the rest of the program seems to be gone.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.