Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: router smouter  (Read 7950 times)

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: router smouter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 11:34:04 PM »

You may have to use a crossover type cable if you connect the camera directly to the computer and not through a network or router.

My bet is you can delete the "may" in that statement.

unfortunately it is *may* with some models.
My Linksys and TP-Link models autosense.

Google "auto MDI/MDIX" for more info.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 06:15:13 AM »

If they where using a device with those feature all would be OK {my D-Link has that feature}.
Problem is they wanted to plug the camera directly into the computer with a network cable.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 06:37:13 AM »

All,

A crossover cable (or a normal LAN cable) will not work at when setting up the camera. It must be connected to a router in order to have an IP address assigned, which is required in order to connect to the camera the first time.

What if I change my browser? On page 11 section 2.5.2 it says if using a different browser to change the IP segment of the computer to the same as that of the camera and then plug the camera directly into the computer via network cable. I don't think I want to change my browser just yet.
I think I should first try to, "change my subnet to match". It says my subnet does not match. Would the next step not be to make the subnet match, what ever that means. I down loaded an 8 page explaination of a subnetwork from Wikipedia and it seems very through but aaarrrrg, my brain just can not wrap itself around it. I think there is enough info that it would take a whole semester at a university just to understand a subnet. Klubtracker seems to be on the right track but his explaination still eludes me.

I am no longer in a hurry to get this baby working which is a good thing but I  >*<am now on a tech mission. I've hit the wall before but unfortunately that's never stoped me before. I will try to only post one question a week for the comunities sake. lol

mrdana,

You are making this way too complicated. Stop reading the manual. Connect the camera to a router and you will get it set up. It will not work any other way.

bluenote

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

Mine doesn't boot up with DHCP enabled by default even after a factory reset.  So I'm forced to connect NIC to camera.
Not that that does much good.

tploy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:25 PM »

FYI You do not need to have a "Router" to connect to your Camera, You can use a "Hub" as well. By connecting the RJ45 from your computer to Either a "Hub" or a "Router" and a seperate cable from the Airsight IP Camera to the same device it will allow proper communication between your "Laptop/Desktop" computer and the Camera for Hardwired Configuration purposes to set up the Wireless Static or Dynamic configuration you need for your application. It is also true if you use a special "A-B" RJ45 cable but those don't always work correctly due to packet loss. A hub usually has one connector designated as uplink for connecting to a router or a Modem. and you can usually get a 4 port hub for around $20 or so.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.