Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MS16A Range Issues With CM19A  (Read 17028 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: MS16A Range Issues With CM19A
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »

All the WGL X10 receivers use an F connector and RG59 cable. Though I don't know if WGLs receivers are made with a 75 Ohm input impedance.

Since the CM19A has only one antenna. You also are changing the transmitters antenna with any modifications.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:27:30 AM by Brian H »

06M6TorridGTO

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »

I figure that it has to be better than just the small wire hanging out of the casing so i'm gonna leave it for now. Today I got my WS467s that I got on ebay that the MS16A will control (well one of them for the front porch light). Should have the CM15A and all the other stuff on like Wednesday. It was shipped today. On another note, I installed the WS467 today and it worked fine with my PalmPad but when I tried the motion sensor, I got nothing. I tried everything to get it to work including using the on and off buttons and it wouldn't control it. It has to be defective. I tried it with multiple devices and multiple house/unit codes and still nothing. Now it wont even sense motion or work at all. Well the led isn't flashing with motion. I'm gonna call X10 tomorrow and get them to replace it. I'm wondering how weather proof these things actually are since we had a hard rain today and its been working until now. I was so excited to finally get the switches in and now the motion sensor wont work!! grrr!! I did order two motion sensors from ebay though but they wont be here until friday so now I have to wait more!! haha at least I can start playing with the CM15A lol

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »

The MS16A was it using the same TM751 that the HR12A Palm Pad was sending through?  If not maybe a phase coupling or signal problem.
If the MS16A's LED isn't flashing maybe it has a problem. The MS16A information in the X10 wiki says OK for Outdoors but I am not too sure if it also means unprotected like your photo showed on the ground pointed at the sidewalk. At the least the mounting holes would need to be sealed.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MS16A_Active_Eye_Motion_Sensor_Setup
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:52:49 AM by Brian H »

06M6TorridGTO

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »

The mounting holes weren't sealed or anything but were covered by the tape that was on there. Its gorilla tape, just as strong, if not stronger, than duct tape so I'm pretty sure water didn't get in there. Also, there was no water or moisture in the battery compartment when I opened it up. The motion sensor did have what looked like moisture inside of the sensor behind the white screen where the motion is detected. not sure what it's called lol I saw another thread on here about that happening to someone else. I may have to put it in a sealed plastic box with a clear window. Maybe that will help. It should have been on the same TM751. I could be wrong and maybe it was getting to one that was plugged in upstairs that the MS16A couldn't reach. I took the MS16A out of the ground to mess with and tried it right in front of the TM751. I was working on it right where the switch was which is inside the front door. There is an outlet down the wall below the wall switches and it is on the same circuit breaker (the one breaker cut off both the switches and that outlet) so a phase issues shouldn't have anything to do with it. The TM751 was plugged into that wall outlet next to the door and below the WS467 that was controlling the light. The light would go on and off with the local control of the switch and also with the PalmPad but not with the MS16A.

06M6TorridGTO

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »

I was looking around and saw this thread which seems to be well thought out and works well. Maybe I will consider doing that. I like how he decided to place the CM15A near the electrical panel. Makes perfect sense! haha I also noticed that he still has USB through ethernet. That's similar to what I want to do but wireless since I would need a lot of wiring to run it from the entertainment room where my PC is to the garage where the panel is, and it would involve the ethernet wire going outside the house.

06M6TorridGTO

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »

B:( I still cannot get the MS16A to work with the light I am trying to control when using the CM15A. I have my WS467 set on A10 (its wired to the front porch light and works with a PalmPad and with local control) and I have my MS16A set to A9. When the WS467 was set to A9 also, it would work plenty fine. It actually worked WAY TOO MUCH, as in it was on all day and would constantly seem to detect motion (maybe from trees in the distance?!). I did not however seem to trigger too much during the night, according to the log in AHP. Also, I now have this motion sensor sitting in the corner on my porch. there is no direct sunlight to it. My main reason for putting them on a separate code was to use a macro to tell it to only turn on the light during the night. I set up the macro to be triggered by A9 ON and then used the condition "if time is between dusk and dawn, run macro". The macro was just A10 (Front Porch Light) ON. So if an A9 ON was triggered and the time was between dusk and dawn (which I assume would come from the dusk/dawn times stored in the CM15A which I have done), then A10 would turn on. If it wasn't during that time, then nothing should happen (except of course A9 being turned on but nothing is on that code except the MS16A).

I had the macro set up, downloaded it to the CM15A, made sure the interface was updated, and tried it (after the dusk time, well after actually). The light did not turn on. The logs did show that A9 ON had been sent but there was no macro run for A10. Actually, a couple times, I did see the macro run and it would say A10 bright/dim 100% which should work, but the light would not turn on. Didn't see that at all time though. Now this was when my CM15A was connected tot eh PC on the other side of the house so it was receiving the codes from the powerline coming from the TM751 which was near the MS16A. I then tried putting the CM15A in an outlet on the same circuit as the light. It's actually on the same breaker and is directly below the switches. I tried with and without the nearby TM751 plugged in. This outlet is also just on the other side of the door as the MS16A so I know range is not an issue. Range shouldn't matter either when I tried holding the MS16A right in front of the CM15A plugged into that outlet. In all of these instances, the light did not turn on. But I could always press the local button on the WS467 and it turned right on. I could press A10 ON on my PalmPad and it would go on. If I pressed A9 ON on my PalmPad, nothing, except for one time when I think it went on and then off. It was weird. Don't quote me on that. It could have been that one time when I hit A10 ON on my PalmPad and then it went on and then off. I had also tried the on button directly on the MS16A and still nothing.

I just can't figure out how simple this is and how it is not working. Every code is set right. The macro has been checked and downloaded multiple times. But I'm still getting nothing. When I set both the MS16A and WS467 to the same code, it works, but when it is on separate codes and relies on the macro to use one to turn on the other, I get nothing. I'm gonna double check the time on the CM15A to make sure its right but I believe it was fine when I did it. I think I had seen in the log where I was trying it before the dusk time and it was getting A9 ON but no macro triggered (which is good) and then I got to the time that dusk was set at for that day and when it got an A9 ON, it executed an A10 bright/dim 100% (also good). And then I tried it in the outlet near the door since maybe the A10 code was not be received by the WS467 (all the way across the house) and it did not work. Any suggestions on this one? I'm gonna try doing some more tests and see when I get. I may use my laptop to plug in the CM15A and use the log while it is in the outlet near the door.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »

Is the Dusk Dawn Sensor disabled in the MS16A?
If not a Motion sensing Address of A9 gets you a Dusk Dawn Sensor on A10. Now if for some reason the light is shining on the Motion Sensor it is possible to have it cycle On and Off commands to A10 if the sensor see the light and sends an Off the light goes out and an A10 On is again sent.  :'

06M6TorridGTO

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »

I disabled the dusk/dawn sensor for that reason lol I only want A10 to go on when motion is detected at night and off after a couple minutes of being on. The only thing I can do is just say screw the macro and leave them the same code but that would mean the light would go on during the day when motion was detected. it would only be for a couple minutes but that's not too bad. Only problem I am having is that it seems to be going off constantly. I haven't messed with it today like I planned. I may or may not lol too tired! haha

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 07:02:26 AM »

I joined this party late, so will ask the "is he paying attention?"  question (refering to me since I did not read entire thread).

Is the WS467 new or old? If the WS467 is a newer "soft start" module, it must be configured correctly in AHP otherwise AHP / CM15A sends the wrong "ON" command. OFF will work fine, as will any command from a RF controller.

I'll go back to sleep now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:01:14 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »

Good catch dave w.

Are the WS467s Soft Start where they ramp On and Off and remember their light levels?
If they are not soft start. In AHP you have to use the Old Before Soft Start Tab to define the WS467 or it will not be controlled correctly.

Also there are reports that having a Soft Start and an older one on the same X10 address can also cause problems.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:46:12 AM by Brian H »

06M6TorridGTO

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »

Good catch! I'm pretty sure they are the old ones. I know when I press the local button on it, they turn on right away so they obviously must not have the SoftStart lol you know, I keep reading about that on the forum and that always being a possible solution, yet I never even thought about it for my issue! hahaha I believe I did set it up with the new SoftStart option so I'll change it when I go home and see if that does it.

06M6TorridGTO

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »

That did the trick! I had to move the CM15A to the outlet right below the switches but it works now. I also put the MS16A back in the mulch since you had to get pretty close to the porch before it saw you and by the time the light got on, you are about 3 feet from the door. Added the passive repeater and it works fine now. I couldn't get it to work in the dining room though (however it does with the TM751?!) but this is fine. I still have the TM751 in the dining room with another device plugged into it for control. But this is fine for now. I will soon give it wireless usb capability so it can stay "plugged into" the PC but keep the CM15A by the door and the PC on the other side of the house so I can download to it and also log it. I haven't seen many false alarms with the MS16A lately but it was also on the porch and not in the mulch so we'll soon see. On saturday, I will leave my laptop plugged into it since it can stay home that day (need it for work tomorrow) and will keep the log on it to see what it does during the day. But the macro I am using it set to only turn the light on after dusk so it shouldn't turn the light on at all during the day. I also haven't seen too much crazy random stuff either like I was getting - upwards of 1000 records in a day and all random code on every single house code! I'm assuming something had just went haywire but it seems fine now. Just plain weird! ???
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.