Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: xps3 and socket rocket compatible with led's?  (Read 4867 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
xps3 and socket rocket compatible with led's?
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

are they?

i know that the socket rocket is designed for incandescents, but i have a cfl on one and works fine.
However, on another rocket, the cfl flickers after on.
xps3s are scarce and thus expensive.
what else can i use with the cfl or a future led bulb?
thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: xps3 and socket rocket compatible with led's?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:13:56 AM »

Is the CFL that flickers the same brand and model as the one that works in another Socket Rocket?
The electronics in the Socket Rocket is probably reacting to the electronics in the CFL.
Is the Socket Rocket one of the new LM15C models that just came back in stock and maybe a different design?

CFLs and LED bulbs don't like to be used on two wire X10 modules as they steal power through the load.
The three wire ones with a neutral power wire do work as you said the XPS3 and WS13A do work.
I have even tried dimmable LED bulbs made for two wire dimmers. That worked fine in my tests with a manual dimmer not work with an X10 switch.

I have used Smarthome Insteon Switches with them as they have a neutral power wire and can have an X10 address programmed into them, but X10 addresses are slowly being phased out by Smarthome.

If someone has found an answer they will give it to us. My feeling is CFLs and LED bulbs are going to make X10 a less desireable option.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:03:12 AM »

i know that the socket rocket is designed for incandescents, but i have a cfl on one and works fine.
However, on another rocket, the cfl flickers after on.
If it flickers after turning ON, it could be the CFL doesn't draw enough current to saturate the triac after it is gated ON. You might try a brighter CFL (like a "100W" CFL which draws around 25W though the triac) or a different Socket Rocket.

Aside from that you may be "SOL" (substantially out of luck ;-). One of the problems long time members of the forum have noted is, X10 frequently tinkers with the circuit design to cost reduce the device. In the quanties they used to manufacture, removing a resistor or by-pass cap could save substantial money. Which means you can see variations in device action or response between identical models but different manufacture date codes...sigh, thats just X10.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nabril15

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »

Is the CFL that flickers the same brand and model as the one that works in another Socket Rocket?
The electronics in the Socket Rocket is probably reacting to the electronics in the CFL.
Is the Socket Rocket one of the new LM15C models that just came back in stock and maybe a different design?

Thank you as always Brian and Dave.
Both bulbs are Home Depot's Ecosmart brand 14w yellow bug light.
Working scenario: XPS3 switch controls 2 lamps (1 wall and 1 post). The wall light has the socket rocket and comes on 1 minute after the xps3 comes on.
Nonworking scenario: outside lamp with socket rocket, and electric connection is direct with no switch.
Both labels state LM15A, so I guess that rules that out. Is it possible that the one "controlled" by an XPS3 doesnt flicker becasue the XPS3 controls things?
With XPS3 prices climbing so much, I opted for the socket rocket instead.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »

Does the CFL that flickers work in the other Socket Rocket witout a flicker?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »

14W CFL *should* work in Socket Rocket, but who knows. Also the Socket Rocket *should* work being fed by a relay style X10 switch, but again, who knows? It definately will not work correctly if fed from a dimming wall switch. Did you try bypassing the XPS3 to see if the SR would work with out flicker?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nabril15

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »

Does the CFL that flickers work in the other Socket Rocket witout a flicker?

I didnt think to try this. I will.

I must clarify that the flickering eventually stops, but when it first comes on, it is annoying.

dave---the rocket and bulb that work correctly is fed by an xps3 switch. The one that flickers is hard wired directly with no switch.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.