Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help buying X10 system - need advise  (Read 6637 times)

luis84

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help buying X10 system - need advise
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »

Hello,

I am ready to buy x10 devices now but I am confused ordering.  Could use some help with what to use / pick -- any advise?  I need to control:

1. Outdoor/hallway light - connects to a lightswitch with 2 switches built in, one controls outside and one inside.  Can this be done with x10?
2. Hallway lights - double switch and three way (?) - Has 2 switches in one to control 2 lights and that switch is 3 way because it has 1 switch upstairs and one down - any way to do this?
3. Bathroom lights - 2 switches in one (one switch controls two lights) - what do I do?
4. Outdoor patio lights - they are the small bulbs that are inlet into the ceiling, they are two rows, each row (5 bulds) is 500 watts, they are controlled by one single switch which has 2 dimmers, one to control one row and one to control another - can this be x10?
5. Window airconditioner - no IR capability and it connects into a normal electrical outlet - can this be done?
6. Front door - I have seen Morninglinc locks which are RF and then there is an insteon RF transmitter -- however, is there an x10 compatible RF transmitter or another method?

Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Help buying X10 system - need advise
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »

X10 module availibility is unpredictable. They seem to be having trouble finding a new factory in China. If you definately want X10 I would check out X10pro.com. Since you already have one Insteon transmitter, you might consider using Insteon rather than X10. All the Insteon stuff is on Smarthome.com and with the exception of the "double switches" Smarthome has a great selection of standard and 3-way switches which will cover your needs. Take a look at Smarthome.com.

Neither Smarthome nor X10 makes "double switches", as in two switches with local control capbilities (control at the switch) in a single switch size. It's the proverbial five pounds in a one pound bag.

The answer is to put in a larger wall box to accept more standard sized switches.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »

You can use a Leviton 16500.  It uses switches that plug into the base.  You can find switches in 1-up, 2-up, and 4-up configurations.  The 16500 has local control, can be controlled remotely, and can act as a transmitter as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4-Button-Keypad-Transmitter/dp/B0015YVXTW

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »

You can use a Leviton 16500.  It uses switches that plug into the base.  You can find switches in 1-up, 2-up, and 4-up configurations.  The 16500 has local control, can be controlled remotely, and can act as a transmitter as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4-Button-Keypad-Transmitter/dp/B0015YVXTW

You are referring to the Leviton 16400, which has unfortunately been discontinued.  I used to carry that myself, but they sold out several months ago.  The one that you linked is the prior Leviton 6400.  I believe that was discontinued back when they introduced the 16400, but there is still some old stock of that prior unit available.  Other than the keypads not being compatible between the two versions, I never found out if there were any other significant differences.

Note that neither the 6400 nor the 16400 will control a load directly.  They are strictly X10 transmitters.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:53:28 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »

You are referring to the Leviton 16400, which has unfortunately been discontinued.  I used to carry that myself, but they sold out several months ago.  The one that you linked is the prior Leviton 6400.  I believe that was discontinued back when they introduced the 16400, but there is still some old stock of that prior unit available.  Other than the keypads not being compatible between the two versions, I never found out if there were any other significant differences.

Note that neither the 6400 nor the 16400 will control a load directly.  They are strictly X10 transmitters.

Jeff

I had forgotten that the switch does not control the load directly.  I use mine daily, but had forgotten about that point.  At any rate, the link I provided seems to have these in stock.

luis84

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »

Hello

Thank you both.

So I have this all sorted out EXCEPT my issue with the double switch.   I opened the wall outlet and the double switch (it's not 3 way, just a single switch that controls 2 lights) -- it has 3 wires, It seems 1 live wire to each and then another wire that is actually split between the two.  Weird setup.

So .... controls 2 lights with 2 switches integrated into one wall plate.

Is there any way I could combine them into 1 and have both lights go on and off with just one switch or ..... is there ANYTHING in the way of double wall switches?

Thank you

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »

Is there any way I could combine them into 1 and have both lights go on and off with just one switch or ..... is there ANYTHING in the way of double wall switches?

Thank you
Yes. just connect both load lines to one switch.
Again, No.

luis84

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »

Hello,

Okay great.  So if I place both load wires into the same switch it will make one switch control both.  I assume as long as the load does not pass the rated aka 500 w it will not have a negative effect.

Is this correct?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »

Yes as long as the total load is 500 watts or less and incandescent bulbs. It should work OK.
The WS467 does not dim with the local button only On and Off. To dim them you need an X10 controller that can send a dim and brighten command over the power lines.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

The WS467 does not dim with the local button only On and Off.
Gee whiz, what part did X10 take out to save a penny now....the little jumper wire??

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »

Saya dimmable by remote only.  :'
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/WS467

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »

I thought they revised the WS467 to have a local dim.  Thought it was documented in the forum, but not in the directions.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:57:52 AM »

Could be that they where revised when the new electronics package was introduced.
Would not be the first time changes where made and we had to discover it on our own.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.