Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How would you design it?  (Read 3222 times)

Vicmoose

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How would you design it?
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »

I am putting a new backsplash in the kitchen and with it new halogen under cabinet lighting.  In the kitchen I have 3 very separate areas of cabinetry.  There is a door way to the dining room that separates them.  Each area of cabinets has easy access to outlets so adding an outlet up in the cabinet for the lighting will be easy. 

What won’t be easy is getting the three areas wired to a single switch.  It’s slab on grade so there’s no going under the kitchen.  There’s a second floor above so there’s no going above.  I just hate the idea of not turning all the lights on at once and having to run to three different switches.  Ideally there would be 1 normal looking switch on the wall that would turn all three sections on and off at once, perhaps even dim them.

I thought maybe this X10 system could get the job done but I am very new to it.  Please let me know how you would do this economically and what pieces and parts you would buy to get it done.

Really appreciate everyone's help. 

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:44:19 PM by Vicmoose »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How would you design it?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »

Is the under cabinet Halogen lighting 120 volt light bulbs or run from a 120 volt to low voltage light bulbs?

Vicmoose

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »

Flexible.  I could do either if there was an advantage to one of them.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:14:20 AM »

Low voltage ones with a power supply. Would not work with an X10 two wire dimmer.
Line voltage ones would work with a dimmer.
Both types would work with a module with a relay in it that does not dim.

Do you have a place where you could mount an X10 Keypad to control the three locations?

Unfortunately none of the X10 switches send an X10 command on the power lines to control other modules. X10Pro made a keypad module that could send X10 commands to other X10 modules to control them.

Would a X10 controlled outlet or switch in each location be better for you?

With x10 changing their business model. I am not too sure what devices are still available.

Vicmoose

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »

Good to know about low voltage.

So if I understand correctly there is no way to have a switch control multiple lights.

I could get a remote for an X10 module and use that if I wanted to, correct?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »

You could use a X10 switch or outlet at each location. Then a tabletop controller, X10 remote with transceiver or a hard wired {in a electrical switch box} X10Pro or Leviton wall mounted keypad switch controller to control them.

They all could have the same X10 address and all would follow one command. They could have individual addresses controlled by separate buttons.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »

X10 does not make a switch that puts a signal on the line currently, but the ToggleLinc module from SmartHome does (as I understand).  I have one that was limitted to X10 capability (no Insteon) and it does work in this way.  The ToggleLinc version *should* function this way as well as offering the capability to work with Insteon (if you so choose).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »

Smartlabs has been dropping X10 support in some of the latest firmware {I2CS protocol} Insteon modules.
Both Relay and Dimmer type ToggleLincs are still listing X10 support.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.