Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X10 discontinued  (Read 16043 times)

alegon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Siatron Automation
X10 discontinued
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:07:30 AM »

Someone can explain why so many modules are no longer manufactured?
The X10 failed?
What do I do with my clients requesting X10?
 B:(
Home Automation in Brazil

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 discontinued
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »

Someone can explain why so many modules are no longer manufactured?
The X10 failed?
What do I do with my clients requesting X10?
 B:(
A search of the forum would have revealed this thread:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1258e6dvakia0hfav7m48qbpi0&topic=26297.0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »

Somehow, the referenced post fails to convince me. First, it says the factory shutdown early last year and then says...
1)   Home Automation: We intend to continue to supply the core components that we always have. We currently have many of these items in stock and many of the remaining items are in production. Our product line of HA products is limited for now, but the core items will remain available. Over the past 6 months, we have invested a significant amount of money to have the existing modules produced again. We fully intend to continue supporting the X10 protocol.
So it appears they've had more than 18 months to deal with this and, so far, the core Home Automation products continue to fade away.

Also, my memory may be faulty but I recall an article from 8-10 years back by Dave Rye which indicated X-10 owned or controlled their own factory in China. Thus, it should not have come as a surprise when the factory closed.

There are a number of companies in China that are producing X-10 protocol Home Automation products for 220V. It would have seemed a simple step to work with them to produce 120V products. 

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt we'll ever see these core products again.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

I believe Marmitek posted they where going through one of the other Chinese Manufacturers for their devices.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »

Somehow, the referenced post fails to convince me. First, it says the factory shutdown early last year and then says...
1)   Home Automation: We intend to continue to supply the core components that we always have. We currently have many of these items in stock and many of the remaining items are in production. Our product line of HA products is limited for now, but the core items will remain available. Over the past 6 months, we have invested a significant amount of money to have the existing modules produced again. We fully intend to continue supporting the X10 protocol.
So it appears they've had more than 18 months to deal with this and, so far, the core Home Automation products continue to fade away.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt we'll ever see these core products again.

The factory closed less than 1 year ago. We needed to rebuild the capacity from scratch, and this has taken a monumental amount of labor and expense to do. We did run out of stock of many items during this period. However, as of now, all core products (security systems and automation modules, switches, and outlets) are once again being produced. Every week, additional new items are arriving. The CM15A (or replacement) is the one item that has been delayed, but we still expect that it will be available around the holidays.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »

The factory closed less than 1 year ago. We needed to rebuild the capacity from scratch, and this has taken a monumental amount of labor and expense to do. We did run out of stock of many items during this period. However, as of now, all core products (security systems and automation modules, switches, and outlets) are once again being produced. Every week, additional new items are arriving. The CM15A (or replacement) is the one item that has been delayed, but we still expect that it will be available around the holidays.

For you anxious ones, I doubt Mr. Depot is talking 4th of July. Otherwise is good news.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

...The CM15A (or replacement) is the one item that has been delayed, but we still expect that it will be available around the holidays.

The big question, when it comes to statements like this one from X10, is "WHICH holidays?" ;)

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »

...The CM15A (or replacement) is the one item that has been delayed, but we still expect that it will be available around the holidays.

The big question, when it comes to statements like this one from X10, is "WHICH holidays?" ;)

Getting a replacement for the CM15A has proven to be very difficult and costly due to the fact that it is a fairly complex item, but we do expect to have a replacement before the end of this year. 

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

Thanks for the update.    Please continue to keep up posted on X10 items as they are upgraded. I have two CM15A's, my original in my X10 Spare box and a newer one in service, so I can wait for 2013 for the update unit.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »

Getting a replacement for the CM15A has proven to be very difficult and costly due to the fact that it is a fairly complex item, but we do expect to have a replacement before the end of this year. 

Are you trying to find a factory to make more units using the same design, or are you trying to design a new device to replace the CM15A's functionality, and build upon it?

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »

Are you trying to find a factory to make more units using the same design, or are you trying to design a new device to replace the CM15A's functionality, and build upon it?

We would have preferred to duplicate the CM15A. That would have allowed us to release the item much faster, but at least 1 component of the CM15A is no longer being made. I am not in the loop on this project, but I believe that the plan is to develop a new, but similar item to replace the CM15A.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »

We would have preferred to duplicate the CM15A. That would have allowed us to release the item much faster, but at least 1 component of the CM15A is no longer being made. I am not in the loop on this project, but I believe that the plan is to develop a new, but similar item to replace the CM15A.
Are the engineers taking into account all of the bugs with the current CM15A, and trying to fix them (clock drift, poor RF reception, random lock-ups, etc - I'm sure we can get a list together for you pretty quickly)?
How about adding a real-time clock chip? It doesn't add much to the manufacturing cost, but would make the unit a whole lot more reliable.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »

Noam,

I am not in the loop of this project to know the capabilities of the new item, but I would certainly hope that all known bugs would be addressed.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »

Noam,
I am not in the loop of this project to know the capabilities of the new item, but I would certainly hope that all known bugs would be addressed.
I would hope so, too.
However, that hasn't always been the case in the past. Let's hope they at least change the model number, which they forgot to do when they redesigned all the lamp modules a few years back.  ;)

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »

Did not realize when "The factory closed less than 1 year ago", the design was also gone. Do you plan to make new product with open soruce firmware, so that a lot of people here will be really happy to tweak them?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.