Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switched outlet controls X10 Lamp Modules?  (Read 4133 times)

Spacetime17

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Switched outlet controls X10 Lamp Modules?
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

Hello -- hoping someone can figure out a clever solution to this:

Current configuration (no automation): Wall-mounted switch controls a switched outlet.

Desired configuration: Wall switch also turns on several other lights around the room that are connected to X10 Lamp Modules.  I envision a unit that is plugged into the switched outlet and sends out on/off signals whenever the outlet is turned on/off.  Or, maybe there's a wall switch that will send the on/off signals while still controlling the outlet?

Basically, I want to control multiple lights around the room with the existing wall switch, but don't want to go crazy on re-wiring or automating the whole house.  Thanks for your input!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Switched outlet controls X10 Lamp Modules?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »

Hello -- hoping someone can figure out a clever solution to this:

Current configuration (no automation): Wall-mounted switch controls a switched outlet.

Desired configuration: Wall switch also turns on several other lights around the room that are connected to X10 Lamp Modules.  I envision a unit that is plugged into the switched outlet and sends out on/off signals whenever the outlet is turned on/off.  Or, maybe there's a wall switch that will send the on/off signals while still controlling the outlet?

Basically, I want to control multiple lights around the room with the existing wall switch, but don't want to go crazy on re-wiring or automating the whole house.  Thanks for your input!
The answers to all your questions are yes, yes, and yes. Have you looked at Smarthome.com and X10pro.com? Because X10 is in the middle of financial wows. You might want to look at the Insteon line at Smarthome.com Anywho you can do everything you have outlined.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »

The existing wall switch can not be used to control other devices.
When you turn Off the outlet. All power is removed and anything plugged in goes DEAD.
Do you know if you have a neutral power wire in the original switches location?
The Insteon line of modules requires a Neutral Power connection.
Some no longer support X10 signaling but if you are not presently using X10. They could be linked to each other to be controlled.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »

The existing wall switch can not be used to control other devices.

Leviton makes rocker switch controllers that do not switch a load (HXC10-1TW).  So you could replace your existing switch with that (wiring the switched outlet hot), and replace the outlet with a X10 switch outlet.  The same command that controls that outlet could then control other lights too.

X10 also made wall-mount controllers that would accept 1,2,or 4 button faceplates to switch that number of loads.  However, I don't know about their availability.  The similar Leviton controller was discontinued.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »

Most of the X10 and X10Pro stuff seems to be hard to find these days.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »

Most of the Insteon switches will transmit their state when they are manually toggled. At least mine seem to.
So, if you get the "relay" type switch, and have it control the outlet, then turning it on and off manually *should* also send that on/off command to any other X10 devices that share the same HC/UC.
However, I've heard that some of the newest Insteon modules have removed X10 support. In that case, you might be somewhat out of luck with that particular solution.
A few years ago, I heard of a similar situation, where the user replaced the outlet with a SuperSocket (x10 controlled outlet), and wired it directly so it was always on. He then took the now-disconnected switch, and ran low-voltage wires to a PowerFlash module (also discontinued, from what I hear), and used that to send an on or off to the outlet.

It is a bit of extra work, and I'm pretty sure there are some code issues with doing that (unless the power to the outlet doesn't go through the box with the switch anymore).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »

I got an email from Smarthome Sales. It was on the release of the new 2477S Dual Band SwitchLinc Relay.

It also indicated the older power line only. 2476S SwitchLinc Relay and 2476D SwitchLinc Dimmer where both being Discontinued. My thoughts are after present stock is gone as they are still in stock now.

The lower cost Icons disappeared awhile back also.

Both the 2476S and 2476D now list X10 as NA.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:32:13 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.