Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LM15 module questions.  (Read 3678 times)

Robertone139

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LM15 module questions.
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »

Do the LM15 receive the code input over power line or wirelessly (neologism?)?
Also are they compatible with LED light bulbs?
This is again for my driveway lighting project. >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: LM15 module questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »

The LM15A uses X10 power line signals to turn it On and Off.
Also is programmed to an X10 Address with power line commands in the first thirty seconds after power is applied.

It is officially sold for incandescent type loads. Some users have used a LM15A for other loads but no guarantee how they may work and act.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »

I use LM15A, beside external lights, to control IP cameras and Xmas lights which are a mix of all sorts of bulbs including LEDs.

IPS

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

FWIW
The LM15A is as close to a solid state relay as X10 ever got. However, use caution if using it to drive an inductive load. I melted down two old transformer style 5V DC wall warts. It took a year each to finally melt the plasic case and melt the link in the transformer. The triac puts enough "turn on distortion" on the line that the transformer ran slightly hotter than what designed for. However my  switching power supplies are happy.   
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »

Thanks dave w for jogging my thoughts.
If the LED lights are low voltage and use a transformer or electronic power supply.
The LM15A has a good chance of not working or being damaged.

Robertone139

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »

So, y'all are saying I can screw any OTS 120VAC LED light bulb in the LM15? B:( >!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:40:11 AM »

So, y'all are saying I can screw any OTS 120VAC LED light bulb in the LM15? B:( >!
Absolutely! Just don't turn it ON.  rofl

I don't think anyone here is saying you positively can do it. I think we are saying; we have done it with similar devices, but YOU are on your own.

I drive 120V LED spotlight bulbs and rope lights with LM15As with no problems, and the LED spot light has a tiny transformer in it. So far no smoke, no melt. But the transformers in the wall warts, didn't like the LM15A so much. Some transformers tolerate the distortion and some don't. You will have to test for yourself, at your risk.

I would test it by running the LED bulb on the LM15A in a safe location, for 24 to 48 hours continuous. Periodically check the setup for "hot" smell, and excessive heat around bulb base, heat sink area, and the LM15A. Passing the test doesn't mean all is hunky dory. It does probably indicate failure is not eminent. 'Course these projections of 20, 50 and 100K hours for LED and CFLs are complete poodle gas anyway.

Also, if the LED bulb is dimmable, any AC distortion from the LM15A or a Lamp Module should not bother it. $0.02
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:21:52 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »

I have tried both a Philips EnduraLED and Philips LPrize LED bulb in a LM15A and both seem to work OK.
Both are dimmable models.
I have run the LPrize about an hour in my test stand and it didn't seem to have a problem.
Long term use may show subtile flaws.
Anything other than a incandescent bulb is trial and error with a LM15A as every model may react differently.
So not every OTS LED bulb may work well with a LM15A.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:01:20 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.