Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Convert X10 to wired  (Read 8861 times)

Phinnay

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Convert X10 to wired
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »

One thing I've always wondered, is it possible to disconnect the X10 transmitting circuitry from the AC power line?

This may sound silly but for permanent installations where you do not want to deal with the possibility of interference, having a separate set of wires for signaling would be awesome.

In my home, it would be trivial to run a second piece of wire (two conductor phone wire maybe?) to my X10 modules to carry commands, it would be great to stop worrying about CFL's or signal killing dryers, etc..

Anyone got thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Convert X10 to wired
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »

Almost all of the X10 modules us a power line derived power supply and the incoming Line connection is frequently connected to board common.
Any wires added externally would be a shock and fire hazard.

Also all the signal timing is referenced back to the power line zero crossing. So disconnect the power line there goes the timing.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:18 PM »

Possible - but not cost effective. You would need to redesign all the X-10 switches/modules.

There are numerous systems that use low-voltage control wires. GE sold a system as far back as the '50s.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »

Yeah, what they said.

But add this to it. Based on your other thread, my guess would be you have one major offender, and all you have to do is find it. I would also consider a XTBIIR coupler/repeater (also known as "The Volp Afterburner"). http://jvde.us//xtb/XTB-IIR_description.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.