Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sudden X10 issues....help please  (Read 15517 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Sudden X10 issues....help please
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »

I know quite a few posts exist with all of our own individual x10 issues, I have read some of them, and I'm sorry to ask regardless.

I have an MT13a controlling other X10 modules (xps3's, socket rockets, and 1 wireless transceiver lamp module)---small but simple. I also use a CR12A remote to manually control things if necessary.
Today, neither device seems to want to control any of the modules. We had a small power outage this morning, but I dont think I can blame it. I have no Xbox power supplies or other game power supplies. We have 4 cordless phone bases plugged in, and 2 USB chargers for our phones.

I moved the MT13a to other outlets, and the transceiver as well, but I get no response from my switches (regardless of type--xps3 or socket rocket). Throughout this frustrating testing, both the MT13 and the remote did power a switch here and there, so I know they are not faulty.

Do I need to go breaker by breaker to determine who my noise/interference maker is? Any suggestions or thought?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Sudden X10 issues....help please
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:33:06 AM »

Do you have an active coupler repeater?
If so you may want to power cycle both lines into it. On the chance the original power interuption locked it up.
Breaker by breaker would isolate a circuit if the power interuption messed someting up. Then checking individual items on that circuit.

You don't have an x10 test meter do you? Like an XTBM, ELK ESM-1 or Smarthome TesterLinc.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:11:03 AM »

FWIW two weeks ago we had a power outage. Lights went out during a thunder storm and came back on an hour later. I wasn't home when the lights went out but reestablishment of power was a clean power-up. No flickers, or "brown-up". However my TM751 transceiver was dead on power-up. Everything else in the house was fine. The TM751 was fairly new and I, in a cynical mood, assumed X10 probably saved a nickel by taking out a zener diode regulator, or a resistor, or a screw  ;) , etc  causing an overvoltage condition in the TM751. It went in the trash without even opening it up to look for a smoked component.

Anywho, my point is: the power outage was not a catastrophic event, so IMHO there was no good reason for the TM751 to fail. Maybe your transceiver was from the same batch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nabril15

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »

brian and dave...thank you as always for doing this.
No, I do not have an active coupler repeater. Or perhaps I do, and dont know it. This is a house built in 1980, and I doubt if the previous owners added anything fancy. What does it look like? and where would it be if I had one? On the breaker panel? Plugged in somewhere?

I read up a little on the XTBM, and it sounds like a good place to start. With the x10 factory issues lately, I doubt if I will be able to get one. Any suggestions on where to buy it? I see the ESM-1 and testerlinc are discontinued.

The 751 transceiver has a on/off button in a corner, and it works fine, but I realize that has nothing to do with it's wireless receiving capability and components. I will open it up to see if something is fried.
For now, I continue to manually power on/off xps3's. Damn. I have one outside light directly wired and using a socket rocket. I had to unscrew it this morning to turn it off.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »

The 751 transceiver has a on/off button in a corner, and it works fine,
Then I think that is a good sign! My button did not work. The unit was completely dead.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »

If the TM751 has a relay (there have been posts indicating some recent ones have no relay), you can test whether it receives RF by plugging a lamp into the TM751 outlet. It's operated directly by the RF signal. The button also operates the relay so you probably have one since the button works.

If there is an FCC ID on the label, it has a superregenerative RF receiver - I cannot recall reports of failures. If it has a "Tested to comply with FCC regulations..." statement instead of an FCC ID, it has a superhet receiver and I believe there have been failures reported (same receiver is used in CM15A).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:18:05 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

nabril15

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »

If the TM751 has a relay (there have been posts indicating some recent ones have no relay), you can test whether it receives RF by plugging a lamp into the TM751 outlet. It's operated directly by the RF signal.

thank you dhouston.
Yes, that is how I have turned on lamp #1 all along---it is plugged in directly to the 751. As of yesterday, it doesnt turn on or off whether I use the remote controller or the mt13a.

It's as if my house, and only my house, got hit by a solar flare....

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »

I was modifying my post as you responded. Does the label have an FCC ID?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

nabril15

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »

i will check tonight.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »

Since neither the MT13A (PLC only) and TM751 (no PLC input) operate the things they did, I suspect the TM751 is OK.

Most likely is that one of the power supplies you mentioned, started spewing noise after the power failure. The only way to isolate it is by unplugging one by one and testing after each step.

Also, look for a remote stuck under a couch cushion with a button stuck on. That can block other RF signals as well as flood the powerline.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:38:21 AM by dhouston »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »

I read up a little on the XTBM, and it sounds like a good place to start. With the x10 factory issues lately, I doubt if I will be able to get one. Any suggestions on where to buy it? I see the ESM-1 and testerlinc are discontinued.
You're in luck!
Thankfully, the XTBM in not made by X10, but by our very own Jeff Volp. You can find the ordering information on his website: http://www.jvde.us .

It wasn't clear (or I missed it), but can you control the outlet on the TM751 itself from the remote? If not, then perhaps the RF receiver is fried.
another thing to try, for testing, is to rotate the code wheels of both the TM751 and the remote all the way around. Sometimes the contacts get dirty, and they don't work as well.
You might also try another housecode, just for kicks.

If the remote CAN reliably control the TM751, and it sounded like you could intermittently control things, then I'd look for noise, as well.
One thing people sometimes overlook (it happened twice to me), is CFL bulbs. They can work fine for years, and then suddenly start failing. They still light up just fine, but they start to throw out a ton of noise, and can take down the rest of your X10 system (in one case, my NEIGHBOR'S failing CFL bulb took down my entire system!).

nabril15

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »

thank you Noam.
My house is full of CFL's.
I cannot control the 751 from the remote, so perhaps the RF receiver died. I will rotate the wheels so as to try another code.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »

I cannot control the 751 from the remote
If you can't control the TM751 outlet with a remote within a couple feet of the antenna, then yes there is a problem either with TM or remote.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:39:44 AM by dave w »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »

If you can't control the TM751 outlet with a rmote within a couple feet of the antenna, then yes there is a problem either with TM or remote.

It could be an RF "signal storm," if you have another remote with a stuck button or something.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

If you can't control the TM751 outlet with a rmote within a couple feet of the antenna, then yes there is a problem either with TM or remote.

It could be an RF "signal storm," if you have another remote with a stuck button or something.
Close proximity of the "testing" remote to the TM751 should overwhelm any outside signal. (he says confidently).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.