Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leviton 2 way wall transmitter  (Read 5028 times)

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Leviton 2 way wall transmitter
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »

Leviton has left the X-10 arena, but there are some deals to be had on old leviton inventory, most of which is relabelled X-10 stuff. HOWEVER, they did have some neat stuf not avaiable from X-10, and hence my inquiry. They had some wall mount (read switchbox) mounted controllers much like the X-10 wall transmitters.. (which they had also - These do not control a device, but merely put an X-10 signal on the PL.) Ok so far, no big, deal, no need to address them from a CM-15 as they are Xmit only... BUT !

They had some 2 way modules that allowed polling. As my system(s) mature, I am finding utility in the polling feature, which is pretty much impossible to find anymore, and was only apparently available on the lamp modules at one time, and the appliance modules. Good luck finding any of those anymore.

So, I digress... If I score one of these 2 way wall transmitters, where or how in the AHP software do I "identify" it for polling purposes?
What is the cheat-around?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Chris
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:59:51 PM by glacier991 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Leviton 2 way wall transmitter
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »

For two way lamp modules you can call them an LM14A
For two way appliance modules you can call them an AM14A.

I have never seen any wall transmitter be polled? Though some of them in the old Leviton catalog mentioned some kind of polling exchange between them. Any model numbers available from the sellers sales page for those devices?

Here is a cross reference of a few brands from X10Pro. That may give you some information.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/crossref.html
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/cross_ref.pdf
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:12:13 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »

If you use AHP on a 24/7 computer you do not need to poll a wall transmitter as it's status can not be changed without AHP knowing. Polling in the lamp and appliance modules was only to find the status of the controlled divice since it could be switched locally.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

glacier991

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »

Dave.. .good point... hadn't hit me that ANY change HAD to involve a PL command registered in AHP, which in this case I run 24/7.
However, that said, sometimes when my remote puter undergoes a reboot, due to a power failure, etc, AHP will not accurately report status.

Brian the description of the PLC transmitter switchI was looking at is:

DHC X10 3-Address Dimming ON/OFF Controller Switch HCC3D-1TW. If you cannot find it, I can gt you better links possibly, but it claims to be a 2 way.

Chris

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »

However, that said, sometimes when my remote puter undergoes a reboot, due to a power failure, etc, AHP will not accurately report status.
Yes, but to be polled, a switch needs PLC receiver circuitry to receive the "ALL_HAIL" command. I don't know why a manufacturer would go to that expense for a consumer grade transmit only PLC switch. I echo Brians comment of "I don't remember ever seeing that function in a X10 protocol wall transmitter". ACT might have produced such a product back in the late 1980s for their X10 protocol industrial products.
http://www.act-solutions.com/df90602a710fc24dd382405481b11d42.html

glacier991

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »

Here is the schtick:

Leviton HCC3D-1TW white Decora DHC dimming controller (transmitter). Features include:
 ■X10 compatible
■3 address - three sets of ON/OFF buttons transmit ON/OFF commands to three sequential addresses in the same letter code as this controller
■One set of BRIGHT/DIM buttons transmits BRIGHT/DIM commands to the most recently selected address
■2-Way X10 Communication allows status of receivers changed manually to be reected in the controller and allows computer-based controllers to register a status update
■Uses existing 60Hz 120VAC house wiring to add multi-location switching without resorting to complicated and costly conventional wiring means
■Equipped with Intellisense (gated automatic gain control) - virtually eliminates signal problems due to line noise
■Green LEDs illuminate to conrm ON command sent or STATUS ON report received
■Changing color is a snap with a Leviton DCK3D color change kit (sold separately)
■Wallplates sold separately
■Maximum of 4 controllers can be installed on a single branch circuit

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:03 AM »

The Keypad does have a receiver in it as described.
So if a two way modules, that it controls, is manually changed. It receives the On, Off, Dim or bright from the module being locally changed and its button LED follows.

This same X10 power line signal, from the local change at the module. Should also be received by the CM15A as a power line command received. So poling the Keypad should not be needed.
Also if the two way module and the Keypad both responded to the same address Status Request from the CM15A. I can see signal corruption in the works.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:12:07 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »

Found some information for the HCC3D-1TW and will give it a look.
http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-2064
http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-1647
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:00:58 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »

Here is the schtick:

Leviton HCC3D-1TW white Decora DHC dimming controller (transmitter). Features include:

WOHOO! Wish I had a couple of these. Problem is, none of my wall boxes has the required neutral line.

Thank you for the information.

glacier991

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »

Leviton also sold the same X-10 in wall transmitter that was made by X-10. HOWEVER, their faceplates for that device also incorporated a status LED, so by looking at the "switch" you could tell which circuits are powered.

I have a backyard set up that has some tree lighting, deck lighting etc, and for control I replaced the original switch that controled a single deck light on the house with an X-10 XPT with a 4 button controller, for each of the backyard circuits I added an in line receiver and voila, I turned a single control point into a full control point. Works great - EXCEPT, more than once I discovered during the day that some of the tree lights were on (cannot really tell during the day) making me wonder how long they had been left oon. The switch gave me no indication of status - RATS!

Then, one day while perusing E-Bay I ran across the same 4 switch faceplate for the XPT, made by leviton, but with LED status lights by each paddle! I picked one up, replaced the X-10 plate with the leviton plate, and now can tell if someone has left some lights on by looking at the switch. I consider this a big improvement, and candidly the plates available on E-bay are no more expensive than the X-10 plates available, but have the added LED. They make then in all flavors (1 switch, 1 switch bright/dim, 2 switch etc)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.