Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: CM15A will be back soon!  (Read 54052 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: CM15A will be back soon!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

...I do not know what, if any, changes or improvements have been made to the unit.

1. Is there any way you can find out? THAT would be very good information to have.

2. If there have been ANY changes to the design of the hardware, it would *really* be a good idea to change the model number, or at least add a revision number on the label.

3. Will there be ab update to AHP released in conjunction with the re-release of the CM15A? We haven't had an update since October of 2011.
There are a lot of bugs that are still in the software (check out the link to the Bug List here on the forums - in my signature), and it would be wonderful if you have a developer who can try and squash some of them (without introducing others, of course).

Noam,
Even if I were to ask what, if any, changes are going to be made to the unit or software I would not be able to share it here. <<<Don't read anything into that statement, I really do not know.
Well, that's going to make it hard to convince people to buy the new unit, if you can't even tell them what (if anything) is different. The user base here has a lot of *really* smart folks, who like to test things like this BEFORE there is an opportunity to screw up their setups. With all of the known bugs in both the original CM15A, and AHP, I think a fair number of people would buy a new one, if they knew that some of the bugs were fixed (like the clock drift, the lockups, RF reception, etc).

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »

Well, that's going to make it hard to convince people to buy the new unit, if you can't even tell them what (if anything) is different. The user base here has a lot of *really* smart folks, who like to test things like this BEFORE there is an opportunity to screw up their setups. With all of the known bugs in both the original CM15A, and AHP, I think a fair number of people would buy a new one, if they knew that some of the bugs were fixed (like the clock drift, the lockups, RF reception, etc).

I am not in sales or marketing, and it is not my place to convince anybody to buy anything. I am positive that those folks will inform the everybody when they feel that the time is right. When I posted many months ago that the CM15A will return, I said that I would provide an update when I knew more. That is what I did.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »

I am positive that those folks will inform the everybody when they feel that the time is right.
No offense, but I am nowhere near as positive about it as you are. I have a feeling there are others here who share my sentiment.
To my knowledge, they haven't shared any hardware changes with us in the past, even when they knew it would have a HUGE impact on the way the system works:
  • Around 2008 they introduced SoftStart modules with the same part numbers as non-SoftStart ones. That had a major impact on the way those modules were addressed, as they were not 100% compatible.
  • Then, they updated AHP to support the new modules, and broke EVERY program that was using the non-SoftStart modules.
  • More recently, they changed the TM571 (turning the controlled outlet into a passthrough) without telling us.

I really don't believe they plan to tell us what they changed. We will have to ask. Even then, we only stand a chance of getting answers if there is someone "on the inside" who can get us those answers. You're the closest thing we've got to that "inside person." ;)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »

Well, that's going to make it hard to convince people to buy the new unit, if you can't even tell them what (if anything) is different.

I would venture a guess that X10 is hoping to sell these to new X10 users, who might also buy a bunch of modules too, and not so much as a replacement CM15A to those of us who already own one. 

Well, maybe a few to those who bought a CM15K.   rofl

Given up to last week, I thought there would never be any more CM15A's, I don't care if the new production is just the same including all the warts and quirks.   If my CM15A ever dies, at least I can buy a replacement outside of eBay.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »

Noam,
Update on the TM751 again.  ::)
Some of the independent X10 dealers now have a TM751 with the relay in it again and it actually has a NEW suffix. TM751C
Some have both with and without relay models. Relay is more costly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:32:45 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »

The worst part of this is X10 will expect the forum members to help answer questions on something no one here owns. B:(
Even if it is exactly the same we'll never know until posts start to pop up about issues or someone posts a review B:(
Some of the independent X10 dealers now have a TM751 with the relay in it again and it actually has a NEW suffix. TM751C
More confusion ??? ::) :'
Rename the module with the old functions instead of the other way around. :'
Who thinks this stuff up?
There must be someone at x10 in charge of confusing the public  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

I am not in sales or marketing, and it is not my place to convince anybody to buy anything. I am positive that those folks will inform the everybody when they feel that the time is right. When I posted many months ago that the CM15A will return, I said that I would provide an update when I knew more. That is what I did.

X10RepairDepot,

PLEASE show this whole series of posts to someone who IS in sales and/or marketing!  If they're not monitoring the forums, they should be!  Having you show up as a regular poster was a great thing, but the complete lack of feedback, and apparent lack of concern, from the people who are evidently making the product decisions, is driving away many of us "x10  old-timers"! 

ITguy

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »

The people making decisions are well aware of the foibles of the CM15A and AHP..... don't kid yourself. It is what it is (or what it will be). 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »

...TM751C ... Relay is more costly.

That must be what the "C" stands for. Costly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:12 AM »

...TM751C ... Relay is more costly.

That must be what the "C" stands for. Costly.
rofl
Or "Confused?"
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »

The people making decisions are well aware of the foibles of the CM15A and AHP..... don't kid yourself. It is what it is (or what it will be). 
Well, I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt!  ;)   Once I'm totally convinced that you're right (and I'm pretty close to that point), then I'm off to the Z-Wave world!  Yet another ex-x10 customer!!  Too bad.

ITguy 

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »

[Once I'm totally convinced that you're right (and I'm pretty close to that point), then I'm off to the Z-Wave world!

I have seen posts in other forums from folks abandoning Z-wave and coming back to X10.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »

[Once I'm totally convinced that you're right (and I'm pretty close to that point), then I'm off to the Z-Wave world!

I have seen posts in other forums from folks abandoning Z-wave and coming back to X10.

Jeff
I think that just proves that there is no one "perfect" automation technology. Each one has its benefits and its drawbacks.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »

What reasons do they give? When first introduced I looked at it and thought the short range and limited number of hops would present problems with many installations running out of hops before running out of real estate to cover. There was also a problem when a device failed - removing it from the routing map required a complete reconfiguration of all devices in the system. I have not explored it since then so some of these issues may have been addressed.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »

What reasons do they give?

I haven't followed the discussions because I really have no interest in Z-wave myself.  I just found it intereting that some folks were giving up on it after spending all that money to switch.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.