Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VA12A & Vista on HP C60  (Read 4745 times)

OldSalt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VA12A & Vista on HP C60
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »

I tested this VA12 last year when I installed another for a customer on a Win2K system.  It worked then.

I have a fresh install of Vista Home Pro - 32 Bit
Installed AHP + plugins

VA12 is not listed in the Device manager, unknown device is listed under USB SB controllers
Vista will not let me use X10 supplied drivers - says they are not applicable to my hardware
Installing a camera without this driver in AHP turns on the computer's webcam, and the video shown in the video screen for the X10 camera is that of the computer's webcam.

I ran through all the suggestions posted herem without success

Called tech support - issue is now at L2, but I need help ASAP

Any ideas?

I added another make of USB video capture device - the Dazzle, and it works with the X10 cameras and it's supplied software.  I can't see this video stream in AHP.  Has anyone used third party Video Capture devices with AHP?  Any ideas on how to get AHP to recognize this device or access it's video stream? 

I'd like to use the VA12, but am open to any method of getting access to my camera's video on the laptop.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: VA12A & Vista on HP C60
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »

AHP can only use one of X10's video capture devices (VA11/12/13).
The VA11A is not compatible with Vista or Windows 7 - you need the VA12 or VA13 for that.
You cannot use a third-party video capture device with AHP at all.

OldSalt

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:25:02 AM »

I know that the official position is as you've stated - AHP won't work with anything other than the VA11/12/13.

It's the first thing I tried to get working - without success.  A one-stop-shop is my prefered solution, as I don't have suppliers pointing fingers and blaming each other for any problems that may arise.   

I find it curious that AHP can use the webcam's video feed in this installation, and that there are several posts here indicating that third party video adapters have been successfully used with AHP in the past.

The bottom line is that I have to get this system up and running for a customer fast.  I'm now late with this delivery.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »

I know that the official position is as you've stated - AHP won't work with anything other than the VA11/12/13.

It's the first thing I tried to get working - without success.  A one-stop-shop is my prefered solution, as I don't have suppliers pointing fingers and blaming each other for any problems that may arise.   

I find it curious that AHP can use the webcam's video feed in this installation, and that there are several posts here indicating that third party video adapters have been successfully used with AHP in the past.

The bottom line is that I have to get this system up and running for a customer fast.  I'm now late with this delivery.
I don't recall seeing any reports of users successfully using a different video adapter with AHP. If you can post the links here, we can look at it.

OldSalt

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »

The first link was referring to the video feed displaying in AHP, but AHP couldn't control it (to take snapshots).

The second link was talking about the Vanguard software, not AHP.

I'm sorry to tell you, I didn't see anything in there indicating that a non-X10 video adapter can be used for the video functions (taking still shots, e-mailing them, etc) in AHP.

OldSalt

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »

The physical installation is complete and has been tested.

As a kludge to tide us over, I've installed the Dazzle for video recording.  X10 controls camera selection  and movement.  Dazzle records the video stream from the cameras.  It's not too difficult to pull a still from an mpg if that's required.

It still leaves my original problem - I need that VA12 working in the system.  That has been and still is the main thrust of this thread.  The stray thoughts and comments were to get *something* up and running until that is achieved.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:54:33 PM by OldSalt »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.