Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Issues with a code receiving a signal every day at same time detailed exp inside  (Read 7295 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

Stores like Sears and Radio Shack would sell X10 items for a while, when the public didn't purchase them and they would sit on the shelves Sears would not continue selling it. Radio Shack sold modules under their "Plug-n-Play line but they never sold things like transponders.  They were a good place to get a module but they no longer sell X10 items.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

Nice tangent, Dan, but X10 is more common than you might think at least around here.
I know of at least a half-dozen homes in my neighborhood with X10, and that's just from what I overheard in conversation over the past 10 years. Once of those homes is on my block (different transformer, though), and another has had X10 for over 30 years. I'm sure there are others that I DON'T know about, too. And I live in a pretty small neighborhood. Considering there are about 1500 homes in my neighborhood, 5 homes would be 1:300 ratio. not 1:5000. considering there are 28 houses on my block, and I KNOW of two with X10, that's a 1:14 ratio.
Over the years, I have seen other random codes show up from time to time, leading me believe that another neighbor was playing around with X10 at some point.

I'd like to get back to the question-at-hand.
There is a command coming in at the same time every day. Since the user says he has no timers or any controller capable of sending a timed signal, AND it seems to be received on the powerline (not via RF), the most logical answer would be that it is coming from outside his home.
SO, I would suspect there is a neighbor with *something* sending a timed signal at the same time every day. Yes, it might be unlikely that a neighbor would have X10, too. However, A1 IS the default code, so that is the one most likely to get interference from someone just buying the stuff and using it without changing the house code.
Now, the OP said that he has been pressing the button trying to annoy a neighbor (if that's the cause), but hasn't seen any reaction. It is possible that the neighbor is sending a more powerful signal than he is sending back, so his weaker signal doesn't make it to the neighbor's system.

Of course, if a neighbor does have X10, changing to a different house code might not completely correct the issue. I'm using a bunch of housecodes (C and D for devices, L for flags, M for macros), for example.
That's one of the shortcomings of the X10 design. It was never expected to be used for complex setups with lots of modules per house, and lots of houses per transformer. Had they expected it, they might have tried to provide more device addresses, to reduce the chances of overlap between homes.

michaelukusa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

What they need is to address the issue by including some kind of custom set code like those wireless phones do so that they don't pick up your neighbor if they have the same model on their phone line.

So your x10 devices would only respond to code A1 being sent if your custom unique security code was sent along with it etc.

But yeah after some investigation and removing certain codes from my system tot est I do now see in that map screen that shows you all available addresses and if they are good or not, i do see that A1 is now red and suggests not using for what ever reason as another device may be present.

So I guess I will move to some of the higher house codes and keep an eye on things, just hate having to take down all my light fixtures to remove the socket rockets so i can do that 30 plug in to same outlet as CM15A thing to reset their house and unit code, since I have several and some are enclosed in ceiling glass light fixtures that need carefully removing, it gets time consuming.

michaelukusa

Just to update, I quite simply and easily updated my HC being used for all the lights and change it to L using the universal remote and I only had to move one lamp closer to the CM15A, the rest including hard wired lights in my kitchen bathroom and diningroom all using socket rockets were updated fine even though they were no where near the CM15A  :) so no need to unscrew anything and have all that hassle.

So in about 3 hours we shall see if everything works good and no more timed interruptions lol.

I also modified AHP to monitor code L and to only use a small selection of HC's I plan to use for different things once I grow my setup and not including A at all so shouldnt have any interference from anything on A elsewhere.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

Let us know how it goes.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

cjhallx

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • Over 35 years experience from PCs to mainframes

I've never had a problem with housecode A since I first got X10 back in the late 1980's.  Nobody else on my street (or my transformer) has X10.  I have 5 modules of varying types on housecode A and they all work fine.  Just for the record,  X10 has NEVER mass marketed since it got started.

I have been using radio shack motion detectors since the 80's and they are x-10 and can control other x-10 devices.

Dan, I am getting sick and tired of your baseless remarks to my posts.  Keep them to yourself please.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:02:23 PM by cjhallx »
I have an AIRPAD X which is a re-badge of the ZENITHINK ZT280-C91 and an AIRPAD XL which is a re-badge of the PLOYER MOMO15

If I have helped you please click on "Helpful Post" under my name to the left. Thank you.

michaelukusa

Well I changed them all again this time I put the lights on HC D because they seemed to have a very long delay after button pressed before activating when on HC L.

I also put my appliance modules etc onto HC E (only have 2 in the kitchen so far but planning on more) this way when out or sleeping I can turn off all the unneeded sockets and maybe save a tiny bit of juice from the appliances here and there.

I am also experimenting with the BVC, BlueWatch and PCC software, thinking about integrating all that fully at some point when I can afford to donate and get the full versions and some extra equipment.

Side question, does anyone familiar with BVC know if there are any android apps for 1.5 that would allow me to connect to my computer via bluetooth with my cell phone and make the phone act like a headset microphone so I can talk to the computer over bluetooth and get replies through my phone mic and speaker etc, kind of like my own personal pocket communicator for all those old school star trek fans ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.