Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some advice on the specific products I should buy for what I need  (Read 4712 times)

michaelukusa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Thanks for reading.

Ok firstly in the bathroom I have one of those standard small in the ceiling extractor fans and it has a standard toggle wall switch behind a faceplate, I would like this controlled via x10 so i can use the macros on it for making sure it doesnt stay on too long, what product would i need to use to replace my wall switch, i saw some wall switches but they mentioned only for florescent lighting?? or are these good for the small extractor fan also?

Secondly, I have 2 soon to be 3 lights in my main room, these lights are not hard wired they are plugged in to standard wall sockets and I am currently using socket rockets on them with energy saving bulbs, what I want to do is replace them with something that allows me to use dimmable bulbs and be able to dim them using x10, I would prefer something that screws into the light and bulb like the socket rocket im currently using if possible but open to other suggestions, remembering that they are not hardwired so the decorator wall switches are of no use.

Can anyone advise what I will need to take care of these two situations.

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Need some advice on the specific products I should buy for what I need
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:44:30 AM »

The fluorescent light switches. Like the WS13A or X10pro XPS3 have a relay in them. Don't dim and should work fine with a small fan.
Did you want a toggle type and not a decorator style for controlling the small fan?
Also the relay type switches need a neutral power connection. So if the fan is on a switch loop. You could have a problem.

There are no screw in dimmer type X10 modules presently made.

Many moons ago there was a very bulky screw in dimmer. Notice in the link below. How large it was compaired to the light bulb.
http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/sl575.html

For now the only choice you have is a LM465 plugged into the wall outlets.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:42:53 AM by Brian H »

michaelukusa

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »

Thanks for the info

My only issues are I am in an apartment at the moment and as much as I feel competent (Used to be an electrician) it is against their rules to mess with the electrical stuff, so adding wall switches and other stuff into the hardwired in stuff is a no no, but if its the only way to do it then I will.

As for the fan I would need your basic toggle kind of switch with the thin up and down toggle , not sure how its wired haven't taken a look yet, same with light switches if I were to go back to using the actual switches, but I think for now I can get away with using plug in modules on the two in the living room since they are just plugged into wall sockets and the rest of the place doesn't really need to dim except maybe the bedroom and that's also plugged in to wall sockets, who ever invented apartments with living rooms and bedrooms that have no hard wired lighting needs a smack in the head, its madness I tell you! But worse is the wall switches in here that turn off sockets :p when I first moved in and flipped what looked like a light switch in the living room it did nothing, I later find out it turns off the damn kitchen sockets e.g the fridge :p stupidity as its right near the entrance where you expect to turn on lights as you enter lol.

Anyway...

So you say the 465 will work for dimming my lights and I shall look into those switches for the fan once I know how its wired up.

Thanks again for the input :)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:24:51 AM »

...who ever invented apartments with living rooms and bedrooms that have no hard wired lighting needs a smack in the head, its madness I tell you! But worse is the wall switches in here that turn off sockets...

The idea was to have a wall switch that controlled an outlet - where you could plug in a lamp. It is a lot cheaper to build that way than to wire in a ceiling fixture.

michaelukusa

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »

Yeah but when said wall switch also controls all other outlets in that room not just the one the lamp is in it kind of backfires on you, especially when the switch controlling kitchen wall sockets (inc the fridge) is placed outside the kitchen near the main entrance to the apartment lol it can be very confusing.

I have had compliments by the apartment maintenance people for my current socket rocket and slimline wall switch x10 setup to overcome the horrid way its all setup normally.

michaelukusa

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:31:41 AM »

Ok well I have some items on the way got a couple of deal kits.

First includes
1 X10 Keychain Remote (KR19A)
1 Lamp Module (LM465)
1 Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751)

http://www.x10.com/promotions/tm751_ed_kr19a_0825_v2.html All for $12.99 which wasn't bad at all I thought.

Second includes
1 15 amp Heavy Duty Module (HD243)
1 FREE Socket Rocket (LM15A)
1 Lamp Module (LM465)
1 Slimline Switch Decorator White (SS13A)
1 Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751)

http://www.x10.com/promotions/ss13a_ed_automation_penny.html All for $20

So I will have the couple of LM465's I need for living room, my AC heavy duty module and a nice keychain remote too, as for the free socket rocket and slimline switch those can go in my extras box or get sold on if I dont find a use for them as I already have many of those.

I even went to Foscam and got a great deal on one of their cams (Foscam FI8910W (White) Wireless N IP Camera) that was going for $160 down to $99 and they even give you an extra $5 off coupon if you do the demo on the main page and get the emailed links to demo the cameras which is cool.

What would someone suggest as the best item to buy to improve signal.

I find that sometimes the lights in bathroom and bedroom (socket rockets) are a little sluggish, not sure if this is the power signal not getting there good or the RF signal from the slimline switch not getting to the CM15A good enough etc

Is there something I can plug in maybe in one of these rooms that would increase the coverage of the RF and powerline signals throughout the whole place? What about one of these transceiver modules placed at the opposite end of the place compared to the CM15A so that both combined improve total coverage, would that work good?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:54:42 AM »

First...
If you still have problems, look at powerline signal strength issues.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

michaelukusa

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »

Thanks, I will check into that, was just reading it yesterday in fact but haven't had any time to find some wire and test, this looks like it would help with my switches and with the wire at the CM15A I assume that would help with my remotes too?

michaelukusa

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

Ok well order cancelled, apparently the HD243 is discontinued now and the keychain remote is on backorder until Nov 12th

Anyone have any suggestions for a heavy duty socket air conditioner being controlled by x10 without the use of the HD243 15amp heavy duty module or am I going to have to find one on ebay instead lol

michaelukusa

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »

Well I found one on ebay for $17 with free shipping so that's ok.

The rest I will figure out, still need to sort something for dimming my cfl lights and also looking into security soon too.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.