Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Total Newbe  (Read 2921 times)

EMichael

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Total Newbe
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »

I have just moved into a house which has a X10 system.  Nothing fancy, just an HR12a remote, RR501 transmitter, a couple of socket modules and a couple of the xps2's.

Problem is a couple of modules have gone bad, and finding an xps2 is impossible.  I have an electrician trying to find replacements.  He has ordered a knockoff xps2 for $17, but I cannot seem to find, nor can he, a RR501.

Are the other transmitters OK to operate a pool filter, spa blower, backyards lights, etc.?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Total Newbe
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »

You may want to look at the XPS2's Users manual. I would try gently rotating the House Code and Unit Code Dial on them a few times. I have seen occasional incorrect addresses from intermittent dials.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps2.pdf
As you have found out. The XPS2 is discontinued. I have not seen any replacement for it in a wall switch style mounting.

The RR501 Tranceiver. X10Pro  PAT01 http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/pat01.pdf
Takes the RF signals from the HR12A or any other X10 remote and sends them on the power lines to other modules. It also has an internal appliance type switch in it. On either Unit Code 1 or 9 depending on the switch setting on the front. It can also be controlled by a power line signal from another controller.
Are you using the built in appliance switch?
You maybe able to use a TM751. IF you are only using RF commands to control it and are using Unit Code 1 only. Also the newer TM751s don't have a relay in them but the latest TM751C has again added the relay back.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:43:43 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »

EMichael

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »

You may want to look at the XPS2's Users manual. I would try gently rotating the House Code and Unit Code Dial on them a few times. I have seen occasional incorrect addresses from intermittent dials.

I will have the electrician give it a shot.

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps2.pdf

As you have found out. The XPS2 is discontinued. I have not seen any replacement for it in a wall switch style mounting.

Found them on e-bay, seller is sheridan-b5 if that helps.

The RR501 Tranceiver. X10Pro  PAT01 http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/pat01.pdf
Takes the RF signals from the HR12A or any other X10 remote and sends them on the power lines to other modules. It also has an internal appliance type switch in it. On either Unit Code 1 or 9 depending on the switch setting on the front. It can also be controlled by a power line signal from another controller.
Are you using the built in appliance switch?

It is on Code 1 and I am not using the appliance module.

You maybe able to use a TM751. IF you are only using RF commands to control it and are using Unit Code 1 only. Also the newer TM751s don't have a relay in them but the latest TM751C has again added the relay back.

Bear with me here, but if I am using the HR12A, that means I am using RF commands to control it, and that the TM751 will work when, and if the current transmitter fails?

I like the idea of having a backup.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »

I have used that vendor myself. Glad they still had some.
Yes if you are using RF from the HR12A the TM751 would be fine.

Had one more thought. You may want to move the RR501 around to varied locations on the houses electric circuits. If the XPS2 modules work in some locations of the RR501. You may have a phase coupling or signal problem between where the XPS2s are and the normal location of the RR501.
Couple of the link I posted have troubleshooting information on them.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.