Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fluorescent Lights  (Read 3115 times)

Lightn8

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Fluorescent Lights
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »

Is there a non-dim/relay module that will respond to an "all lights on" command? It's kinda frustrating to...I digress, you understand.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Fluorescent Lights
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:41:42 AM »

Plug in module or a wall switch?

X10Pro XPS3 wall switch users instructions indicate it will turn On with an All Lights On command. Also it requires a Neutral Power Connection to work. So a simple switch loop where the Line and Load are the only connections in the switch box will not work with a XPS3.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps3.pdf

The X10 WS13A also can do All Lights On and like the XPS3 needs a Neutral Power Connection.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/WS13A

I don't believe any plug in relay modules will accept a All Lights On command. To risky as you could accidentally turn On something you shouldn't. Like an empty coffee pot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:56:39 AM by Brian H »

Lightn8

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »

But I don't want to plug my CFLs into a dimmer either.I'm glad to know that there are multiple options. Today I realized that when I get my system set up it won't matter because most things will be on a macro and I won't need the "all lights on" command. Wow! long run on sentence, sorry.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »

Today I realized that when I get my system set up it won't matter because most things will be on a macro and I won't need the "all lights on" command.
Yep, this is true. The caveat is turning on lights individually by macro is the longer time needed compared to an ALO command.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »

Unless the CFL is rated to be on a dimmer module.
The dimmer module and the CFL can be damaged. Even at 100% the output on a dimmer is not a complete AC waveform.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:07:33 PM by Brian H »

Lightn8

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »

The dimmer module and the CFL can be damaged. Even at 100% the output on a dimmer is not a complete AC waveform.

Amen brother, I want to shout it from the tree tops sometimes, you have no idea how much of my equipment gets blown up because "the dimmer is instant on and we keep it at 100%" or "my fan at home is on a dimmer".
n8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.