Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Noob with some questions  (Read 16356 times)

Jeff74

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Noob with some questions
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »

Ok, now that I have my system all squared away, I noticed that the sensors are not wanting to stick to the windows as wells as they should.  In the last 2 nights, I have been woken up to the alarm because the sensor has fallen off.  I use the sticky pads that came with the sensors, the windows are vinyl, so I thought it would get a solid connection.  I don't want to screw anything into the vinyl.  What are my other options for sticking it to the vinyl windows?  Does anyone have any luck with the Command strips?  Thanks.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »

I stick a little dab of silicone caulk/sealant between the sensor and the mounting surface.  The sticky pad keep the unit in place until the silicone cures.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »

Did you clean the mounting surfaces with alcohol before mounting them?
That sometimes helps.

Also try firmly holding the sensor or magnet firmly onto the surface for a minute or more. When I use tie wrap anchors with sticky on them. The manufacture recommends firmly holding the mount to the surface for a minute to assist in bonding.

I used the external zones on my DS12As and they came with what looks like a permanent type double sticky pad. After I got them on there was no moving them.

Hardware Stores and Radio Shack carry this type mounting material if the X10 supplied ones are not cutting it.
Though my gut feeling is the surfaces may not have been clean enough.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:23:39 PM by Brian H »

Jeff74

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »

Where can I get the extra external magnetic switch?  Is it something x10 sells?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »

X10 mentions a second switch for the DS10A here.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Adding_A_Switch_To_A_Door_Sensor

Any security type web site would carry them.

I used a Large Gap model as my doors where hard to mount a switch with the normal smaller gap.
Seco-Larm SM-431-T
http://www.smarthome.com/77414/Enforcer-Surface-Mount-Magnetic-Contact-Sensor-Switch-White/p.aspx

Jeff74

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »

Can't say with 100% accuracy.
It has to be closed when the magnet is next to it and their description does not say.

Not trying to confuse you but there is two ways to describe the switch.
In Electronic terms it is a Normall Open Switch as that is its condition when not activated.
In Security terms it is a Normally Closed as the magnet next to it closes it and is used in a normally closed zone.

Jeff74

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »

Yes, I remember seeing "normally closed" in some descriptions.  But for $4, I am willing to try it and see what happens.  Really, the only problem is 2 metal doors that I have in the house.  I have a 3rd metal door that works flawlessly and it is the furthest sensor away from the console.  But these other 2 metal doors are a problem and they are only about 6' and 15' away.  I am going to try and mount the sensor as far from the metal door as possible with these switches and maybe even putting some insulation under it.

Jeff74

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »

Also, what does it mean when 1 sensor is not "checking in"?  This one is about 6 feet from the console in a direct line of sight.  The sensor is mounted to a steel exterior door.  It doesn't check in, but it will chime when opened every time.  So, for me to arm the console, I have open and close that door so that it registers with the console again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »

The display shows Problem and the Zone #1.
Means the sensor has not checked in within four hours. Since they have a loose {some are longer some shorter} 1 hour check in. The console didn't receive the check in message for four hours. Why opening and closing the door corrects it. Difficult to say for sure but mounting directly on a metal door is a good chance of being the problem.

Jeff74

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »

Well, I unmounted the sensor and put some insulation under it, hoping it would fix the problem, but it didnt.  Still, the same probs and this tone problem with the chime and siren is really annoying.  It may be time for a new console or something when I call Monday.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »

How far away where you able to space the sensor from the metal door?

Did you try the unplugging the wall supply and removing the batteries for a minute or so. For the tone mixed with the chime sound?

Jeff74

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »

The sensor and magnet are about 1/4" apart, if that.  But does the magnet have anything to do with the sensor not checking in? 

I have thought about unplugging all power sources from the console, but would that wipe out all of the codes and zones causing me to do it all over again?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 06:39:39 AM »

On the older DS7000 removing the power including the batteries. Would wipe out everything.

On the SC1200 all the registered zones are not lost. You do have to reset the clock and maybe the Tamper Message from opening the top cover and removing the batteries.

I believe a fellow user did have a problem with a metal door. Effecting the magnetic field.

Jeff74

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »

I removed the power and batteries.  Isnt the alarm supposed to go off when you open that door?  It didn't.  I also notice that every time I open a sensor cover, it doesnt alarm, but it does say Tamper Zone 1 or whatever, but it never alarms.  Once I reset it, it seems to work a little better.  Still, a door or window that has been a top performer with NO probs, now is not checking in.  sometimes doors or windows will not chime until you shut/open about 5 times consecutively.  weird.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.