Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Review: x10 Home Security System SC1200  (Read 12933 times)

MarkF48

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Review: x10 Home Security System SC1200
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »

Due to some recent burglaries in the neighborhood I decided it was time to put in some kind of security system. I thought I had found a wireless system that on the surface sounded pretty good. It cited full house coverage with up to 32 or so wireless window/door sensors, plus a motion detector, and lamp flasher. Also stated the built in "siren" was as loud as a full volume stereo system. $200 for the "system"

I installed 11 of the window/door sensors and the motion detector. My house is two story and all the sensors were on the first floor within about 20' of the centrally located main control box. I had trouble with one sensor mounted to a metal door. The door evidently shielded the signal, as well as a sensor that was located on a window behind an LCD TV. Tried moving main box and different orientations. Got things sort of working, but every time I wanted to arm the system when leaving the house, one of the other sensors would develop a "problem" and needed a reset to be able to arm the system, which was a real PIA. After having the system better than a month other sensors began to develop issues. The "siren" that was supposed to be louder than a full volume stereo was actually not as loud as a battery operated smoke alarm, hardly enough to scare off a would be burglar if he could even hear it. I hadn't hooked up the phone dialing system for fear it would be a problem with possible false alarms. The system didn't come close to functioning as the online description purported. This forum suggests modifications of the system to "improve" operability. Having to modify something that should work out of the box doesn't say much for the equipment and not worth the effort. 
Everything I subsequently read about the company selling this POS was extremely poor customer service and bad product. Unfortunately I bought on recommendation from someone and didn't do my own research. Lesson learned.

Today I removed the whole system and it hit the trash dumpster. Big waste of $200. I thought about ebaying the stuff to recoup some of the money spent, but I have yet to sell junk on ebay and I won't start now.

I'll finish installing the hardwire alarm system I had started prior to purchasing this.

BlueScreenOfTOM

Re: Review: x10 Home Security System SC1200
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the SC1200 system.  From reading around here, it seems like it definitely works a lot better for some than for others.  I guess I was one of the lucky ones, but the system seems to work well for me.  Good luck to you with the hardwired system.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 06:01:34 PM »

Mine is about a year and a half old.
Two or three horizontal rows on the display are now out. Making it hard to read what it says.
For now I have the older OEM from X10 for Radio Shack. 49-1000MC console in use.

I may disassemble it and see if it has bad contacts on the displays connector.
Since one row was out. Then all where OK again and now two are out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:41:12 PM by Brian H »

xcalbr460

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »

I purchased the system ~15 days ago. I installed the system immediately and was immediately dissapointed. My home was built new in 2006, is about 1300 sq ft, and has standard building materials. We have wifi and your normal variety of appliances, electrical devices, etc. I was told by customer service this is not acceptable. Any and all ellectrical devices can and will interfere with this system. I tried all kinds of feng shui and unplugging things, and moving the console (holes in my walls to prove it) and nothing worked. To this day I still have to choose between which group of sensors I want to work, because the range is terrible. This is regarded by customer service as "environmental" problems, and a return request was not accepted. So now I'm stuck with a $200 piece of crap. Once I run out my 30 days of opportunity to return for a refund (-15% restocking fee) I will post the video of the chat with customer service on youtube.
 B:(    >*<    B:(    >*<    B:(    >*<    B:(    >*<

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »

I do not think the customer should have to re-engineer and modify a product to make it work acceptably in an average installation. But poor RF range is common in X10 products and this forum is full of mods for the SC1200 console and remote sensors, CM15A, motion sensors, slim Line switches, etc. Search the forum for "C1200 range" if you decide to keep it. If you send it back, check out "AAS Alarm". I do not have one but have very positive word of mouth from installer and user. The system covers an out building at least 125 foot from home.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.