Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to against power cut off when using X10 security system  (Read 8087 times)

coolshare

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to against power cut off when using X10 security system
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »

I am thinking of buying a X10 security system such as SecuriLink but couldn't solve the problem of power cutoff.

The X10 rely on house power line so what happen when intruder power of the house first? Components like PowerLine Siren are rely on ...
Unless I plug all my component into a backup circuit (that is hard to connect to house circuit since my battery won't be able to handle big appliances).

Any suggestion?

thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How to against power cut off when using X10 security system
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »

When the power to the home is off.
You are correct that all the power line devices will not function.
The siren in the SC1200 will still go off as long as its back up batteries are OK.

Unless the battery backup unit you have. Uses a pure sine wave output and not a modified sine wave output. They probably will not work anyway or maybe damaged.
Most of them also have some power line filtering in them that absorbs {Signal Sucker} X10 power line signals as noise.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:36:47 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »

The X10 rely on house power line so what happen when intruder power of the house first? Components like PowerLine Siren are rely on ...
Unless I plug all my component into a backup circuit (that is hard to connect to house circuit since my battery won't be able to handle big appliances).

Some television trained burglars pull the phone line fuses when robbing homes. That is why so many people now have alarm systems that use cell phones.

There is no real defense against professional burglars. If the pros's wants what you have... they will take it. They can disconnect power, and jam cell phones. Don't keep valuables at home. And do insure what you own.

Fortunately(?) most burglars are just drunk and/or drugged kids with serious problems. He/she may be that nice kid that used to live next door a few years ago before his/her Mom and Dad separated and they moved away. These kids kick open doors and they don't care about the alarms. They know full well they'll be long gone before the police ever arrive. But the sirens generally scare them anyway... often as not the run away seconds after kicking open the door.

Alarms... only alarm/alert/inform the home owner that a crime is taking place... so the home owner can stay out of harms way.

Although if you have a nice alarm sign... your home may appear to be more risky than the identical home beside it... that doesn't have an alarm sign. Adding a few security cameras that are noticeable enough to a potential intruder might also help deter a burglar. Good lighting, landscaping that isn't overgrown, strong doors and windows with good locks.... that sort of thing helps. But a battery backup on a siren.... maybe not so much.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:16:38 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

coolshare

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »

I don't think that you got my point:

if the siren does not reside within the house power line, how can X10 signal trigger the siren (even itself has backup power), assuming security system console reside in the house line?

So unless the entire security system including x10 console and siren reside in a circuit using back power as it power source, there is no way to trigger the siren

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:17:50 AM »

Correct no AC power or power line signal to the Powerhorn it will not sound.

Now most battery backups are not a clean AC waveform. So even if you did manage to get all the modules on a battery backup unit. The noise would make them useless or fry them.

It allmost sounds like you should look at a hard wired system with a BIG battery backup in the control console and externally wired in siren.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:00:33 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »

Oh... trust me... I understood the point YOU were making. Maybe... I wasn't clear in the point I tried to make.

An alarm is designed to prevent the owner from being a part of a burglary, and to help notify the police (and insurance) as to exactly when the burglary happened.

The sirens and flashing lights or strobes associated with the alarm... aids in the notification of the break-in. The use of a simple nightlight will also help a home owner notice that the power is off.... as well as will nonfunctional garage doors (don't expect thief's to RE-connect the power once done ramsacking your home). If your sleeping when the power fails... you may have noticed the "sound" of losing power is enough to wake most people.

But the point I was making was that very few criminals disconnect power or even disable the phone lines. And the ones that do.... AND recognize your home as a valuable target.... CAN NOT be stopped. Burglars have been known to simply cut a hole in the wall of a home with a chain saw... avoiding any alarm/lock problems whatsoever (not to mention just laying in wait for the home-owner to return... and shooting him/her). Alarms.... NEVER stop burglars... an alarm is merely one step in deterring a burglary.

It is easy to become too concerned about small details... and as a result miss the larger picture (AKA not seeing the forest for the trees). If you have items at home that attracts a professional... remove them, insure them, expect them to be taken. But for most people... the X10 DIY system is more than enough.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »

if the siren does not reside within the house power line, how can X10 signal trigger the siren (even itself has backup power), assuming security system console reside in the house line?
I think Brian got your point. As he noted in the October 14, 2012, 01:57:03 PM post; with no power, ONLY the message dial out, and the siren in the SC1200 console will work. Same is true if the external Power Horn is plugged in to anything else but same house power. Also, X10 will not work on ANY back up supply that even hints at being a "modified sine wave". Even "True Sine Wave" supplies are questionable AND the powerhorn would have to be on the same supply.

Your original post question screams for a more expensive system like ADT, Wells Fargo, etc. and NOT X10.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:42:07 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

How about a whole house emergency generator? 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Robert523

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »

I am looking into installing a solar powered system that stores electricity into batteries located in a secure room in the house. I guess those of us who live in sunny areas like Florida can benefit from this year round. Has anyone done any research on these systems?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

I am looking into installing a solar powered system that stores electricity into batteries located in a secure room in the house. I guess those of us who live in sunny areas like Florida can benefit from this year round. Has anyone done any research on these systems?
I've been doing this in Central Ontario for more then10 years.
My cottage is totaly off grid however a grid tied system would be better.
Besure you have a pure sine wave inverter (you'll need that anyways if you run a grid tied system) or you'll fry your X10 modules.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.