Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Remote Pan/Tilt Head  (Read 26705 times)

SkunkBayWeather

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Remote Pan/Tilt Head
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »

I operate a weather/webcam site and have used a single x-10 pan/tilt head for over a year.  I use a HD cam that is controlled by it's own software, so I am only using the pan/tilt function.  I use the CR14A remote control and the XM14A power supply for the pan/tilt.  I have added a second cam and purchased a second pan/tilt.  I would like to control each head independently.  My understanding was that all I needed was TM751 transceiver to accomplish this.  I set the TM751 to House Code A, the CR14A to House Code A and the pan tilts to House Code A and units 1 and 2.  I programmed to C1 and C2.  I was still not able to get them to operate independently.  I have tried all sorts of combinations with no luck.  I called tech support this morning and was told I had to purchase Active Home Pro.  I really don't think she understood what I was trying to accomplish, so I am hesitant to take her word for it.  Looking at the documentation I haven't seen anything that specifically addresses what I am trying to do.  Does anybody here know exactly what I may need?  One more note.... When I plugged in the TM751 for the first time there was a spark and a snap.  I am not sure the TM751 is working.  Tech support dismissed this....

Thank You 

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Remote Pan/Tilt Head
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »

You should be able to control up to 4 cameras with a single CR14A. There's no need for a TM751.
Or 16 with the CR13A.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:01:41 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:23:18 AM »

I know I should be able to control up to 4 devices.  That is why I am asking for help.  I have tried several combinations with no luck.  Any other thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »

Part of the problem maybe the XM14A is turned On and Off when you select the camera by a power line signal but the Pan and Tilt function's are RF direct from the remote to the base.
That is why we sometimes see a question on why two Ninjas are both moving. Their power supplies didn't switch Off correctly as they default to On.

So you will need a transceiver to put the CR14As signal on the power line to switch the power supplies. An X10 controller could also be used. That maybe why X10 support suggested AHP.  The CM15A {when re released shortly} can send power line signals to control the power supplies and an RF signal to the pan and tilt base.

In a single camera setup the supply defaults to On and no power line signals are needed to switch them Off.

So the CR14As RF has to reach the Ninja base to pan and tilt and has to reach the transceiver to send the On to the selected camera and the rest automatically go Off. The power line signal from the transceiver also has to reach the Ninjas power supplies to switch them On and Off.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:25:36 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »

The spark you saw when you plugged the TM751 in may have been normal. If you happened to connect at the peak of the AC waveform and the power supply needed to charge its capacitors.

Is your TM751 one with the pass through outlet {Sticker over where the manual On and Off button was} or has the internal On Off Switched outlet on the bottom? If it has the switch in it and you are using A1. It should go On and Off what a RF command from a remote to A1.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »

You maybe able to do a few tests.
Power up both Ninja Bases.
Since they default to On. Without using a C Camera select button. See if both bases Pan and Tilt.
If either one does not. The RF command from the remote is not reaching the base.

Then select C1. Try to Pan and Tilt. If C2 also moves the power line commands are not reaching the C2 cameras base power supply.
Then try C2. C1 should not move and C2 should. If both move the power line signal is not reaching the C1 camera.
Power Line troubleshooting maybe needed.

Selection information.
The cameras and Ninja bases use addressable power supplies.
Same House Code and Unit Codes in groups of four. 1-4,5-8,9-12 and 13-16
Turn any Unit Code in a group On with a power line command. The other three go Off with no added commands needed.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »

Thank you SO much for all your information Brian.  I have tried all the suggestions you made in your last post, but when I get home later today I'll methodically run through each test you have suggested.  I may have missed one combination.... I'm 60 years old and Swedish... That gives me an excuse if I missed something earlier....   >!   As far power line commands, doesn't that require the TM751?

Thanks again.  Just for reference, my site is www.skunkbayweather.com. We have quite a view and the ability to point and zoom with 2 HD cams at different targets is a great tool. 

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »

Sorry if my response was not too clear on that.
Yes my reference to a transceiver was the TM751 or any other X10 device that can do it.

Another test that maybe slightly easier. Power up both Ninjas and use the remote to send a C3 or C4 Off. That should make both the cameras on C1 Button {Address A1} and C2 Button {Address A2} go off and neither would pan and tilt if they received the power line commands.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »

Looked at your web site.  >!  #:)

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »

Thanks Brian.  Coincidently we had a fair thunderstorm last night.  My time lapses made the cover of the local ABC News affiliate.  Here is the article.  http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Lightning-brightens-the-stormy-skies-over-Hansville-174385131.html

Here is one example of what I intend to do with two pan/tilts.  On the 4th of July there is a fireworks show on each side of Double Bluff on Whidbey Island.  I would like to be able to point one cam into Mutiny Bay and the other in to Useless Bay to capture both shows at the same time.  (A little friendly competition between bays... :) )This is 9-10 miles away and requires some fine tuning to dial it in.  The current pan/tilt I was using last summer worked great.  Here is what that looked like:http://www.komonews.com/home/video/161465625.html

One more question.... What package would be needed to operate the pan/tilts from my computer.  Is this the Active Pro Home?  Does the USB device somehow access the power line signal?  ???  I can connect remotely now and it would be nice to be able to point the cams from off site.

Thanks,
Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »

I don't have much experience with X10 software and cameras.
If AHP with a added plug in is the best I can't say.

If you do decide to go with AHP. I personally would wait a few weeks until the promised CM15A Interface is again being sold.
The CM15K is a CM19A Interface with a TM751. To take the RF the CM19A sends to the power lines.
CM15A has both a Powerline Receiver and Transmitter in it. Along with an RF Transmitter and receiver.
The CM15K Kit is very limited. No way to receive power line signals and has to depend on a TM751 for sending power line signals.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »

Good information.  Thanks Brian.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »

Here is what I have done tonight:
1. Plug in power supply 1 in to surge protector set at house code 1, unit 1
2. Test the unit - works perfectly
3. Plug in TM751A to same surge protector.  Unit 1 still works perfectly.
4. Plug in power supply 2 in to same surge protector set at house code 1, unit 2.
5. Press C1 and both units move together
6. Press C2 and both units move together

Logic would indicate that the TM751A is not doing a thing.  In other words, the spark and snap I heard when I plugged it in for the first did mean it was defective...

Any other thoughts?  I am convinced the TM751A was bad out of the box.  After talking with "tech support" I am concerned about any return on this item.  It was only $17 and in my opinion is not worth the postage to return.  However, I don't want to just start throwing money at this thing.  It looks like a great concept and product and I would really like to get it working.

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:09:37 AM »

OH. Surge Suppressor.
If it has a power line filter in it. Some do, some don't.
It will absorb X10 signals like noise and many times will kill an X10 installation.
Though in the same one. I am not sure if it could absorb that much, but you may want to try with out it.
Also try gently rotating the House and Unit Dial on all the units. Occasionally we see a dirty one show being set to one address and actually be on another one.

Your TM751 doesn't have the internal relay?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.