Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm gonna say it: bring back the IR543!  (Read 17627 times)

fitbrit

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I'm gonna say it: bring back the IR543!
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »

A lot of people seem to be looking for this thing, and there are none to be found, outside the European equivalent that runs on 220V/50Hz. I want one for my nStinct/Harmony remotes so I can mix IR/X-10 Macros.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:56:46 AM by fitbrit »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: I'm gonna say it: bring back the IR543!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »

...I want one for my nStinct/Harmony remotes so I can mix IR/X-10 Macros.

A new cool setup may be the Melloware (http://melloware.com/) with the X10 controlling and IR device controlling software. The apps can play on itouch, iphone, or ipad devices.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

fitbrit

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:32:18 AM »

See...

Thanks very much! I made an offer to him and it looks like we have a deal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:21:50 PM by fitbrit »

fitbrit

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:35:07 AM »

...I want one for my nStinct/Harmony remotes so I can mix IR/X-10 Macros.

A new cool setup may be the Melloware (http://melloware.com/) with the X10 controlling and IR device controlling software. The apps can play on itouch, iphone, or ipad devices.

Thanks! Yes, i already used X10 commander from Melloware, and am intending to use iRule eventually to control everything. However, the wife will not be using the iPad for controlling stuff, so needs to retain use of a Harmony One as a secondary system. I like to have redundancy in my systems! I will, however, check out Intelliremote again to see how it compares to iRule.

sroberts

EZUIRT replaces IR543
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »

I bought an EZUIRT and it is doing a fine job at replacing my dead IR543.  $130 shipped, made in USA, it has a built-in IR repeater and of course supports INSTEON if/when you need it.  The only thing I don't like is that the housecode is set to "C" by default and this default cannot be changed via the on-device programming.  But X10 compatible remotes should certainly be able to send a housecode.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »

Yes you need an Insteon PLM or PLC along with the free SimpleHomeNet Utility to change the House Code in the EZUIRT.
As you indicated. All 256 X10 addresses from an X10 remote sending IR commands including the house code should be processed.
Remotes that used the IR543's House Code Dial would be on C by default.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:05:18 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:51:24 AM »

My most recent Home Theater build (not mine).... I used a Logitech-harmony link . The round disk shaped unit mounted in the remote equipment room and connects to an apple (or Google approved android network connected device) via the wireless home networks router. I got it to work with the ipad, ipad mini, 2 iphones, and an itouch. The itouch is the theaters dedicated remote.

Since the link and equipment is in a hidden area and the theaters projector is in the common area the logitech-harmony link couldn't signal the projector. So I used powermids to relay the projector signal to the common area.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:12:05 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »

The GlobalCache WiFi to IR module has multiple (addressable) IR output ports so might be a bit more versatile. It is a bit more costly than the Harmony disc but might have saved the cost of the Powermids.

Also, most RF transmitter modules (like those listed in the below link) cannot switch fast enough to respond to the IR carrier so you can drive them with an IR output. Thus, you could send RF to a transceiver for X10 control with a 310MHz transmitter.

Along with the WiFi and Bluetooth controlled LED lightbulbs, it's looking more and more like the future home will be controlled by smartphones and tablets.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:39:04 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

harley31169

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

I have to agree on bringing it back. Everybody is looking for one (including myself). Anybody have any ideas on where to get one?? Or better yet how do we convince them to put it back into production?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

If no one other than those who post here want the IR543 then X10 won't ever put it back in production.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

harley31169

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Well with over 3000 views in just 3 months, and various other forums, I would say the market for it is definitely out there. Let's put this forum to the test. If you are wanting, or could want in the future, then please post here. Even if it's just a simple "I agree". Anything to prove it's worthy of bringing it back to life.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:09:06 AM by harley31169 »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »

The IR543 was one of the first controllers from X10, dating back some 30+ years. If they decided to discontinue it, it's unlikely that you will persuade them otherwise.

You might have better luck convincing Marmitek to make a 120V version of their European model (which works with all housecodes).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:59:42 PM by dhouston »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »

I believe the IR543 was discontinued well before X10 closed their factory in China and is now having a select few devices made by an outside factory.
I would also not put too many hopes into seeing them ever again. As many of the newer modules are also now discontinued.

harley31169

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »

So your saying the days of new x10 products, and maybe even as a company are numbered? I'm only about 3 weeks into ha so excuse my ignorance. Universal remotes have came a long way since the ir543 was discontinued, and with other ha companies offering newer technology, just seems that bringing back a product that thousands of people want could benefit them in many ways.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.