Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using X10 to turn a fireplace on and off???  (Read 5341 times)

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Using X10 to turn a fireplace on and off???
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »

I have a gas fireplace that has a standard wall switch to turn it on and off... This wall switch though is NOT powered by house current. It just is used to complete the circuit at the fireplace which uses millivolts... How can I find a way to use a x10 switch here, if I want to control it with my X10 remote?? There must be a way. I also have access to AC current to power the X10 switch, but the fireplace can't receive any A/C current.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Using X10 to turn a fireplace on and off???
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »

try the um506
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Aquadeveloper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »

Yep,

use the UM506, I'd wire it in parallel with your current wall switch so that you could turn on/off
the fireplace either with the wall switch or thru X10.

But thats just me.  :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »

...I'd wire it in parallel with your current wall switch so that you could turn on/off the fireplace either with the wall switch or thru X10....
...or wire it in series with the wall switch for safety. In series, flipping off the light switch would keep it from coming on accidentally.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Jason B

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »

Done! Works great! Best $12 I ever spent! Now I have turn the fireplace on/off with my Logitech Harmony remote.

shake

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »

IF someone is still active on this thread may I ask a few questions? I have some safety concerns about this.

What is it's default action when you plug the device in fresh, is it latched or open?

I ask this because I had an extra xm17a power supply laying around. All I did was chop the end off of it and attach a relay. This basically gives me the same functionality as what you're using. However I discovered the other day during a power outage, that when power is cut to the xm17a and then applied again, it's default operation is ON. So that means if the power goes out at my house, when the power comes back on my fireplace will turn on right away. Obviously a serious concern. I'm actually surprised they behave like this as that means for their intended use, they would leave cameras on after power outage until being told to turn off.

OK so my point being is does your device behave like this too? I can't find one for $12, they are much more expensive and I don't want to spend the cash if it isn't any better.

Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

Camera Power Supplies default to ON.
That way in a single camera setup. No commands are needed for the camera to work and no added things like remotes, transceivers or controllers are needed to turn a single camera setup On.
In multi-camera setups. They all turn On and interfere with each other. Until one is accessed by a power line command.

The camera supplies work in groups of four.
Same House Code. Units 1-4,5-8,9-12 and 13-16.
Turn one in the group On the other three go Off with no extra Off commands needed. So if you are using any of the other three Unit Codes in XM17A or XM13A group. It is possible to maybe turn On a light and turn Off the Fireplace.

So the XM17A will default to On. When power is first applied. Yours is acting correctly.
The XM13A in your other threads will also default to the switched DC Output On, at power up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:10:16 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »

X10 modules with a ratchet type switch in it. Appliance modules, WS13A are two with ratchet type switches in them.
Will power up in the state it was in when power was lost. They will be On of they where On at power loss and Off if Off at power loss. Not uncommon to get a brand new module out of the box in the On state from factory testing.
The only appliance type module I have seen that defaults to Off at power up. Is the Insteon 2456S3 ApplianceLinc {and its lower cost cousin Icon On/Off Adapter} with a hardware revision of 4.15 and above. Lower revisions returned to the state they where in at power loss.They can have an X10 address programmed into them.

Most of the lamp modules I have seen. Power up Off. Though I have seen some older before Soft Start ones trigger On from the load being sensed. Can't comment on wall switches as I don't have any in use.

Jason B

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

I was the thread starter of this topic and I'm happy to report it's still working great. I now have the cm15a and can control the fireplace from my iphone via the x10 commander app! I know actually control everything from this iphone app. My garage doors (using more um506's) lights, etc... It's awesome, inexpensice and reliable. It also works on 3g when you are off wifi too.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.