Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Floodlights with a switch - how to control?  (Read 3876 times)

jet-a

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Floodlights with a switch - how to control?
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

Hello,

I have floodlights currently connected to my house. I would like to use X10 to add motion sensors to them, but also allow them to still be controlled by the switch inside the house.

Would it be best to replace the existing floodlights with X10 floodlights? Or should I just add motion sensors and use LM15A's to control the actual bulbs?

I did try replacing the switch with a WS467, but I was unable to turn the lights on with this switch.

I'm still learning, so if you have any other possible ways of this working i'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Floodlights with a switch - how to control?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »

I use the X10 floodlights (PR511) with a regular on/off [non-automated switch]. Works well for me. But... I am not sure the X10 floodlights are still currently available.

My lights cause my automation computer (which runs BVC) to announce that the floodlight is on which the computers voice even announces outside. Informing me that there is activity where and when there should not be.... and warning any prowler that security cameras and alarms are in use. Shown here in an old YouTube Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apZF77tsZlI

I think the same could be accomplished with any floodlight, a relay, and a powerflash module (if you have one). Pretty sure Knightrider does that. Might be able to hack any number of X10 devices to replace the floodlight IF it isn't available, like a security module (connected to a relay) or even a relay controlled hacked PalmPad. Thinking out loud [typing out loud?]here.... maybe even an old plugin X10 controller could be hacked and wired with CAT5 to several relays switches and/or sensors.

Maybe someone has a link for floodlights!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »

I did try replacing the switch with a WS467, but I was unable to turn the lights on with this switch.

You need to find out why. Are the bulbs incandescent? If so the WS467 should, at least, control them AT THE SWITCH. Trying to turn on the switch remotely may indicate a phase coupling or electrical noise problem in your system.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »

If the bulbs where a CFL or LED type. They don't work with a WS467.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »

The Togglelinc Relay is a nice switch.
It does require a Neutral power connection in the switchbox, to work.

jet-a

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Thank you all for your replies...

The WS switch did turn on the lights but not all of them. To describe really quickly, there are 2 sets of floodlights (with 2 bulbs each - for a total of 4 bulbs) that are controlled by one switch. When I replaced the old switch with the WS switch, it would only turn on 1 set of the lights at a time - (so only 2 bulbs instead of 4). The bulbs were incandescent bulbs.

So it sounds like I need to find PR511's - if they are still around?

Thanks very much for your help!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »

Do the fixtures have any built in sensors?
Like On at dusk and Off at dawn?

Any built in electronics inside the fixtures could react strangely with a WS467 or WS12A two wire style dimmer switch.

jet-a

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »

Do the fixtures have any built in sensors?
Like On at dusk and Off at dawn?

Any built in electronics inside the fixtures could react strangely with a WS467 or WS12A two wire style dimmer switch.

No built in electronics at all - really weird.

Eddie_T

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »

I have a PR511C motion detecting floodlight on the front of the house. I set its code for 16 and used the +4 start code to turn on a WS467 controlling floods on the rear of the house so they announce visitors when I am in my family room or master BR while placing them at code 4 for convenience with smaller remote controllers.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.