Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 way computer communication  (Read 3543 times)

isolo12

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 way computer communication
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:05 PM »

Do x-10 modules communicate 2 way with the computer software? What i mean is, if i turn on x-10 switch manually will the software know that this switch is ON?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 2 way computer communication
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »

No they do not.

The Insteon Modules can have an X10 address added to them and they do send a signal back to the controller when locally activated.
There is some differences with the dimmer types. They use the preset or %dim command that the X10 controllers don't send or understand. X10 used the extended X10 messaging for their newer soft start devices.

So if you dim an Insteon module it sends a %dim for its address. At Off and 100% they do send an Off or On.
They also require a real Neutral Power Connection in the switch boxes. So you can't replace a two wire X10 dimmer switch with an Insteon if there is no Neutral in the switch box.

Smartlabs is slowly eliminating the X10 address in the Insteon modules. So how long they support X10 is not known.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

Most X10 modules are not two-way but most will respond to a STATUS REQUEST with STATUS ON or STATUS OFF. Also, the discontinued LM14A was two-way. It caused some lock-ups for the CM11A because it sent its status after a power failure when the CM11A wasn't ready for it. I don't recall whether there was ever a two-way appliance module or switch.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

isolo12

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I have number of WS13A around the house and was thinking if I could login in to my computer remotely and see what lights are ON so I can turn them off. Any ideas to achieve this would be highly appreciated.   

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »

It depends on what interface you use - CM11A, CM15A - as well as what software you use.

The CM11A and CM15A can send STATUS REQUEST but I do not know whether AHP software can do so. I've never  used AHP so I cannot speak to its capabilities.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »

The WS13A is a receive only device.
It will not respond to a Status Request.
Though the software you are using may keep track of its last known state or command sent to its address.

isolo12

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »

what device will respond to status request? I am using CFL light so the only switches i can use are ON/OFF

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »

The only X10 devices that I am aware of that respond to a status request are the RR501 transceiver, LM14A lamp module, AM14A & AM15A appliance modules, and the PR511 floodlight.  I use them when I test the XTB-232 2-way operation while running under Home Control Assistant (HCA).

As others have said, some of the Insteon modules report X10 status.  And some of the Leviton wall switches (expensive!) also do.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »

These two Insteon Switches still list X10 Support and are a relay type for things like CFLs.
They come with no X10 address in them and you have to add it through the set button and sending X10 commands on the power line with a controller. The full users manuals are linked on their web pages.
They are expensive compared to what X10 modules use to cost.
There is a 20% Off sale on Insteon right now but I don't know for how many more days.
http://www.smarthome.com/2477S/SwitchLinc-On-Off-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Switch-Dual-Band-White/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/2466SW/ToggleLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-Non-Dimming-White/p.aspx

Jeff mentioned there maybe some Levitons still made that are two way.

Since you are using WS13As and they use a Neutral. That requirement should be covered for the Insteon Modules.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:26:17 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »

Where is the 20% off info?  I've been waiting to buy some toggle linc switches and this might be the best deal I'll find.

Edit:  Never mind, the banner just popped up.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »

They extended the Black Friday 20% off on Insteon through today.  :)%

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »

Bought a couple toggle linc non-dimming switches since it saves me $10/ea plus shipping.  I was hoping they'd bring the X10WS467 back, but apparently that's never going to happen.  If they do, I'll buy a bunch more I guess.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »

I bought one of the X10WS467I and X10WS467DI switches.
In my case they where Insteon Modules where all they did was remove the Insteon Label and six digit ID tags and put on the new label.
Took my Insteon controller maybe ten seconds to verify it was never reprogrammed for X10 only.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »

Which is cool if you need Insteon, but I really only cared about the price difference for X10.  Of course, I suppose if the old one has Insteon as well, then I could always upgrade and I'd now have 3 modules.  Woohoo.

I originally debated buying several to get free shipping (3 for $60).  Instead I decided to test one and wait for a sale.  Now I just paid $74 for 2 on sale with free shipping.  I guess that's what I get for trying to save $5/ea...spending an extra $16/ea.  DOH!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.