Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two x10 /transceivers, one keychain remote  (Read 4696 times)

reber1b

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Two x10 /transceivers, one keychain remote
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »

Hello all, a newb here. Last year I bought a RTM75 transceiver module and a RKR24 keychain remote. They were bundled together and purchased at Fry's. I bought them just to turn the power on and off to an external SATA harddrive tethered to a Western Digital TV Live media streamer. I wanted to be able to easily turn off the eSATA when I was watching Netflix, or listening to Pandora for instance. This has worked well ever since I've had them. I now want to be able to reset the media streamer itself by unlugging and replugging power, since turning it off and on doesen't really reset it when it's locked up. So I ordered a second transceiver module (TM751), and it came today. Now I'm looking at this situation: the keychain remote has has 6 buttons. The top pair are marked ON1/OFF, the pair below them is marked ON2/OFF, and the bottom pair have an up arrow on the left one and a down arrow for the right one. I cannot understand how or if the dials on the transceiver modules relate to the button numbers on the remote. All I know so far is that, with the dial on each transceiver module set to "A", both work perfectly using the ON1/OFF buttons on the remote. What I need to know now is: how can I control one transceiver with the ON1/OFF buttons, and control the other with the ON2/OFF buttons? Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance . . . reber1b

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Two x10 /transceivers, one keychain remote
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »

You can't.

The tranceivers outlet control only responds to Unit Code 1, on what ever House Code the trasceiver is set to.

The transceiver main function is to receive the X10 commands from a RF remote (like your keychain remote) and then couple the X10 command on to the homes powerlines so up to 16 other modules can be controled on the House Code.

So you could use an Appliance Module set for Unit Code 2. The Appliance Module would receive it's commands from the powerline.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

reber1b

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

You can't.

The tranceivers outlet control only responds to Unit Code 1, on what ever House Code the trasceiver is set to.

The transceiver main function is to receive the X10 commands from a RF remote (like your keychain remote) and then couple the X10 command on to the homes powerlines so up to 16 other modules can be controled on the House Code.

So you could use an Appliance Module set for Unit Code 2. The Appliance Module would receive it's commands from the powerline.

Thanks for the reply. As may be obvious, I know zilch about home automation. If all you wanted was to be able to turn two divices on or off independent of one another, with a remote, what would you buy?

Thanks again,
reber1b

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »

Incadescent loads could use a LM465 Lamp Module that would also dim.
Incadescent and other type loads, like CFLs, LED Bulbs. Could be controlled by a AM466 three pin or AM286 two pin appliance module. That do not dim.

From your description of what you want to control. An appliance module could be used for the second address and one of the TM751/RTM75 could be for the other load or two appliance modules could do both and the TM751/RTM7 could just be used as a transceiver.

RTM75 is the retail part number for the TM751.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:13:44 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »

As may be obvious, I know zilch about home automation.
Well at one time, that was true for all of us.

Anywho, Brian summed it up. Hustle back to Fry's and get "Lamp Module" for incandescent lights or "Appliance Module" for everything else, including the streamer.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

reber1b

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:53:19 AM »

Thanks guys, "Appliance Module " sounds like what I need to look for at Fry's or Google for on the net. I'd sure like to find a set of two or more modules paired with a single remote that could control each independent of the other(s).

Thanks again,
reber1b

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:11:52 AM »

The remotes and modules are not paired to each other. By selecting the House Code and Unit code set in the remote and on the modules dials.
You can control your choice of modules.

You can use your RKR24/KR19A remote for more than one device.
The remote defaults to House Code A. Unit Codes 1 and 2.
Set the RTM75 or TM751 to House Code A
The RTM75 or TM751 is hard coded to Unit Code 1.
Set the appliance module to House Code A, Unit Code 2.
Now the top set of buttons on the remote will do the internal transceivers relay.
The second set of buttons will control the appliance module on A2.

If you want to have the transceiver in a different location and want to use two appliance modules.
Set one to A1 and the other one to A2. Just remember the transceivers relay will also turn on and off with the top button set on the remote.
If you set two modules to the same address. They will both go on and off together from the remotes commands.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:57:25 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

reber1b

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Appliance_Modules
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Slimfire_Remote
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Lamp_Modules

Thanks -- I'm doing my best to follow what you're saying, but I got lost at the second line of the second paragraph.
Two questions:
What is an "appliance module" compared to an RTM75 or TM751 ?
How does one set the "unit code" ?

Thanks again

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »

Appliance module is used to control devices with an On and Off state only.
They are power line controlled only.
Can be set to 1 of 256 X10 addresses. House Code A-P and Unit Code 1-16.

The RTM75 and TM751 take the RF commands from the Remote and send them back on the power line to control things like appliance and lamp modules.
They have a built in appliance type switch in them hard wired to Unit Code 1. That can only be controlled by an RF command from things like a remote. As they have no power line receiver in them.

There is a TM751 revision that X10 removed the relay electronics. So not every TM751 has the internal appliance controls.

Look at the first link I provided for the appliance module.
See the Red House Code Dial on it? Goes from A-P
See the Black Unit Code Dial on it? Goes from 1-16
To set A2 you would point the Red dial to A and the Unit Dial to 2.
To set P16 you would point the Red dial to P and the Unit Code Dial to 16.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:58:48 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

Check the cord on your streamer before you go to pick up that appliance module.  If it has a ground on the plug (3-prongs), you will need an appliance module with 3 pins.  X10 sells both 2- and 3-pin appliance modules so just make sure you get one that will work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.