Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Red Lights at Night  (Read 1589 times)

jleigh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Red Lights at Night
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »

I just installed the camera for use as a baby monitor. I was able to turn off the single blinking indicator light without too much trouble. However, the circle of red lights (for the IR night vision) are a little distracting when the room is dark.

Is this normal? Do all night vision cameras have these reds lights? Is there any way to turn them down or off (i.e. when the camera is not is use)?

Thanks in advance!

James

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Red Lights at Night
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »

I think this is pretty common. I have the same thing on different (non-X10) night-vision camera.
I know it is possible to manufacture IR LEDs that don't give off visible light. I am guessing those are more expensive than the "red" ones, so the companies use the red ones to save some money.

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »

Actually the IR's that these cheap cameras use are "near-IR".  The wavelength is 850nM and is very close to the eye's visible spectrum, and that is why you see the glow.
To the camera, these are bright though.
The truley invisible IR's are 950nM, BUT most of the cameras are not as sensitive to this wavelength.
The cost difference, I believe, is the same, just the sensitivity of the sensor is better with the 850's.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

Actually the IR's that these cheap cameras use are "near-IR".  The wavelength is 850nM and is very close to the eye's visible spectrum, and that is why you see the glow.
To the camera, these are bright though.
The truley invisible IR's are 950nM, BUT most of the cameras are not as sensitive to this wavelength.
The cost difference, I believe, is the same, just the sensitivity of the sensor is better with the 850's.

Yeah, that's what I *meant* to say! ;)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.