Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use of X10 to control low voltage landscape lights  (Read 8045 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Use of X10 to control low voltage landscape lights
« on: October 31, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »

Hello
I am thinking about installing some low voltage lights in my front ladnscape area. I have the low voltage transformer, and I am thinking that if I plug it into an LM465 lamp module at one of my outside outlets, I could control the lights that way. Sure, the transformer has a mechanical timer, but I am not sure if it works. Plus with the x10 I can control power outages. Of course, I would cover the LM465 and the outlet with an outdoor outlet cover so it is not exposed.

Would this work? It should, right?
Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Use of X10 to control low voltage landscape lights
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »

No it won't work.

The Lamp Module is made to directly control incandescent lights (only). It does not like transformers. Use an AM466 Appliance Module instead
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nabril15

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

sweet,  Dave
thank you

What about the UM506 Universal Module - X10? Which is for low voltage? Could I use it and not use my transformer?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:54:34 PM by nabril15 »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »

I doubt the UM506 would work - I don't think it could even power the lights at all, and I don't know if could even handle the current to switch it (using your transformer).
I've been using an AM466 for my outside lights for years. I have the transformer plugged into it, and the timers turn the lights on and off at the right times.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

The low voltage UM506 maybe able to switch the LOW Voltage output of the transformer to the lights.
Not the AC input to the transformers.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »

I switched my regular low voltage lawn lights with hard wired (NOT solar) LED lights. They aren't easy to find yet... but they enabled me to reduce the power use from 120 watts to only 16 watts (not to mention no bulb replacement). Considering the average burn time (more in winter, less in summer) is about 10 hours a day that make a difference. I hardwired a light sensor on the back of my home that switches a plug-in, in the basement. So the yard/lawn lights come on when dark... and off when light.

The lights on ether side of my front door I replaced with LED bulbs (4 watts each) switched by socketrockets. Although they run a shorter on/off cycle (controlled via a (PR511) floodlight dusk sensor... and a CM15A. So dusk turns the lights on... a timer turns them off. Then a timer turns them on early... and sunrise turns them off. This reduces the burn time by half.

The lamp post... I replace with a solar lamp. It has much more of a solar cell display and battery than a normal solar light. It burn through the entire night... most nights.

And... I have motion sensor flood lights everywhere. They are a great way to save power... yet have the security of lighting. Plus my BVC setup announces when and which... motion sensors comes on. One even warns any intruder (with and outside speaker) that they have been detected and viewed on camera.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:11:25 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »

If you are in cold climate zone then LM465 probably will not work enemy in a box. I use LM15A. It's been there for at least 3 years.

Ips

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »

I use Appliance Modules for all outside Christmas Lights as none require dimming.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

rjniles

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »

I use X10 to control a very large landscape lighting system with 6 low voltage transformers and over 200 lighting fixtures. Each transformer has a AM466 appliance mod to apply power to the transformer. I use a MT-14 mini-timer (in conjunction with a photocell) to turn the lights on a dark and off at 11:30 PM.

Here is a write up on a system I use to control 6 low voltage lighting transformers:

Lighting Control with X-10 System

T   X-10 mini timer         Enclosure in utility room

SS   X-10 Super Socket         Duplex Electrical box

PF   X-10 Power Flash            “

TX   120 VAC to 9VDC transformer      “

AM   X-10 Appliance Module      6 units @ each lighting transformer

PC   Photo Cell            Right side of house next to electric meter

Starting with all units and lights off

At 5PM Timer T sends ON code to Super Socket SS set to unit code 5, no action other than power applied to Power Flash PF module.

Photo Cell PC senses darkness and closes power circuit to Tansformer TX, TX sends 9VDC to indicator lamp & PF. PF sends ON code to (6) Appliance Modules AM’s set to unit code 1. All 5 AM’s turn on and apply power to lighting transformers. All lights on.

At 9 PM, Timer T sends ON code  for unit(s) 1. If photo cell has not turned on lights by this time, this will turn on all AM units and turn on all lights.

AT 10 PM, Timer T will send OFF code to unit 5, the SS unit. This will remove power from the PF unit and prevent it (and the photo cell) from controlling the lights for the rest of the night.

At 11;30 PM, Timer T will send the OFF code to unit 1 (the 5 AM units). This will turn off all lights. The circuit is now reset and ready for the next evening.

At any time the lights can be turned off or on with the mini controller in the master bedroom. Control Button #1.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.