Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bluetooth mouse turns on X10 lightswitch?  (Read 1803 times)

Youngblood

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bluetooth mouse turns on X10 lightswitch?
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »

I do not consider this to be a problem, just thought that I would mention it ... and I won't be surprised if someone here (Brian H?  ;)) points out to me that this has been a known issue for a long time.

I first configured my house for an X10 security system (PS561 Security Console ++) in ~1996.

Last year my sister gave me a broken & discarded-as-worthless 2009 Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop that had been abandoned by one of her daughter's (apparently, well-off) friends at college (Sis was aiding in a move to a new apartment and stumbled across the thing and got the story from her daughter).  Terry well-knew of my hobby & success in fixing such devices (I rebuilt a couple of Dell Latitude C640s for her & her daughter a couple of years ago), and brought it back for me.

I rebuilt it and then added a few improvements, one of them being an internal Bluetooth module ... I then acquired a BT mouse.

I use the laptop (now my favorite) on my kitchen table ... and, often during use, the BT turns on the X10 wall switch for the TV Room that is located ~10' from the laptop.  I know the BT to be the culprit after switching it off and using a USB mouse instead.

I prefer the BT mouse (and being able to easily use/synch my cellphone with the laptop), so I happily live with the TV Room light popping on.   :)

Just wondering if anyone else had run into this.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:56:37 PM by Youngblood »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Bluetooth mouse turns on X10 lightswitch?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

Bluetooth uses 2.4GHz and very low power so it is difficult to understand the mechanism operating here - is Bluetooth affecting an X10 transceiver or acting directly on the switch in some manner? Some X10 wall switches left a couple of PIC pins floating. This link explains how one person fixed a random on problem.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.