Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airsight Outdoor- Few questions  (Read 1840 times)

mstrlucky74

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Airsight Outdoor- Few questions
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »

Hello all. I'm new to the security world and have a few questions. I am thinking of buying the Airsight Outdoor($129). I have a tenant who uses the our WIFI so I would imagine they would be able to view the camera too? I obviously don't want that. I think they log into the WIFI using a "guest" password an not the main one we use.

I want to mount the camera hidden in my shed(I am going to create a viewing opening where the vents are). My shed is about 20-30 max from the router but will the signal penetrate the shed and the house? I know these are outdoor cams so the signal obviously needs to penetrate the house but what about they extra plastic wall of my shed?

What are wires connections are NEEDED for the camera to operated? Power source? 

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:16:15 PM by mstrlucky74 »

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Airsight Outdoor- Few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »

Two choices:

The camera is also wireless, so if you have a power outlet in the shed, no problem with power, your only concern would be the distance through the walls.

2nd... If you are able to run a CAT5 cable and use the POE kit, you can solve both concerns that way. You'll have the CAT 5 from the router to the camera and with the POE KIT will also provide the power for the camera.

In essence the POE kit comes with 2 devices which one plugs into your router .. the other plugs into your camera and the CAT 5 cable connects the two. Your camera power plug connects into the device connected to your router ... which in turn the power travels thru the CAT 5 cable... where the other device is connected to the camera...that powers the camera.

This setup has the advantage of being able to download firmware upgrades ( if needed) or if for some strange freak of technology, you have to reset the camera's IP its easier with a POE kit connection.

I ve had mines xx40a connected first wirelessly then with a POE kit, my preference is the POE. Just in case we have a power failure and i have to reset the camera.. i would need to connect directly to my router just to reset the camera, so i rather keep it wired instead of wireless.

just my opinion.

mstrlucky74

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

Thanks Richy. I have a power outlet right outside the shed. Do you think the distance from shed to router(~25') will be an issue?

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »

You should not have any problems being 25' from the router.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »

My camera is farther than your and have no problem. You don't need POE to reset your cameras. Just reset the breaker on the panel. And if that seems inconvenient then use (if you use AHP) a socketRocket to plug in your camera to power source and if you want to make the camera auto reboot in case of power failure then use a macro.

It works great for my system.

IPS

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.