Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Powerhorn sounds weak when distance away from the Securelink Console  (Read 3512 times)

leo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

This is my new dilemma.. I have 2 brand new powerhorns (ps01 and ps02/psh508). Whenever i move
the powerhorn to a different room which most probably it is under different circuit then both powerhorn
sound volume diminishes a lot. If I move back the powerhorn back to the same room which
the console resides then it sounds great. I contacted X10 support and they say they never heard that
before, have u guys seen similar issue?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Powerhorn sounds weak when distance away from the Securelink Console
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »

The Powerhorn is weaker in sound output when in a different location from the console?
That is one I have not seen yet.
I know the new ones are not as loud as the older ones.
When they redesigned them. It seems they got quieter.
I traced the circuit and it is different. I did a very rough sound test with a computer microphone and a scope. Lower output confirmed.

leo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »

Hi Brian

Thanks for all your great posts.. You are amazing..

Back to my problem  B:(  Yes, it does sound much lower when placed in different rooms. I bought the
items from ebay (they looked pretty new to me) so I do not think it is defective. But if I can describe
the volume when it is working to be 10/10 and when i move it to different location plug (another room)
the volume is 4/10.. that is how much it goes down. Oh wait, maybe i am going deaf because
the large powerhorn damage my hearing.. >!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »

But if I can describe the volume when it is working to be 10/10 and when i move it to different location plug (another room)
the volume is 4/10.. that is how much it goes down.
The Powerhorns are extremely directional so let me ask the obvious: Are you in the same room when you make this judgement?  :D  I ask this because the distance from the console should not have ANY effect on the alarm volume. Are the rooms the same size? Is there lots of overstuffed furniture, carpets, tapestries, etc in the low volume room and Ikea furniture and hardwood floors in the loud room? Is the alarm sound the same (frequency and warble) between the two locations?
MY out on the limb acessment is: "it ain't possible".  But another member of the family tells me I am wrong a lot. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

leo

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

Hi Dave

The room which it sounds louder has less furniture than the other room. But again if you guys say this is not possible then I am convinced something is wrong with me.  I need a drink  >!    I guess I am losing it.   Haha

Thanks for all the replies.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:57:06 AM »

But again if you guys say this is not possible then I am convinced something is wrong with me. 
Uh, lets not go that far yet.

I said distance from sending console "shouldn't" have any effect on horn volume, but we are talking X10. I just have no explaination of how the powerhorn output could change based on the distance from the console.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:56 AM »

We are talking about the Large Powerhorn {X10} PH508A/{X10Pro} PSH01 or the Small Powerhorn {X10} SH10A/{X10Pro} PSH02?
Can you find the Date Code on the unit? Most likely on a small white sticker on the rear of the module.

Because the Securelink Console sends two X10 addresses.
Depending on the hardware version Large Powerhorns. They could act different than documented.
I have a Date Code in the 2009 year and everytime you arm it and the console sends the X10 On and Off commands to flash the lights when armed. The Powerhorn triggers one cycle of siren tones.
Other Date Code ranges may start, stop and start again or just peep a few times.
I also had a problem with my XTB-IIR and the Powerhorn on the opposite phase of the house wiring. The constant On Off cycles from the console triggered the firestorm detection and it stopped sending the On Off cycles to the Powerhorn. I had to reset one of the XTB-IIRs parameters to allow more signals in a minute.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:26:40 AM by Brian H »

leo

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

Hi Brian

The model is PH508 ! The white sticker reads 11F26 and it is listed as Remote Switch E63636. When I arm the
system, I do not hear any noise from the powerhorn.

Thanks
Leo

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.