Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SC1200/SC-12A RF Reception - Recommend Manfacturing Correction  (Read 18237 times)

JGM

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
SC1200/SC-12A RF Reception - Recommend Manfacturing Correction
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »

Hopefully X10 reads these forum inputs.  I know that several others have reported RF receive issues with the new security console so I'm just reporting again as confirmation.  I bought the newer configuration for my primary home and found multiple issues with connectivity to the sensors as well as overall stability.  All were corrected be fitting an external antenna to the SC1200/SC-12A Console.  The area being covered was no more than 1200 sq ft.  I can't believe that the company is not expending excess technical support, dealing with high percentage returns, etc.  In my case I added a simple telescoping antenna connected to the existing antenna wire.  The antenna was mechanically mounted to a stand-off so it is in the wall behind the console where I had to route all the power/phone/discreet wires anyway.  I used a 36" antenna which is a full wave length although I believe a half wave length would be sufficient.  This would be a very easy modification on the company floor and provides a superior product comparable with the competition.  The RF connectivity issue was also well known with the CM15A computer interface and again many in this forum ventured in their own modifications.  But the company did not catch on.  Security systems as well as home automation setups need to be stable with sound response to commands/status.  Increasing the RF reception obtains it.  Greg Miller

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: SC1200/SC-12A RF Reception - Recommend Manfacturing Correction
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »

Hopefully X10 reads these forum inputs.  But the company did not catch on.
Whether X10 reads it or not, is irrelevant. Once the design is set, the dies made, the PC board lay out finalized, and parts bought, nothing will be changed.  "But the company did not catch on". I assume you are trying to be funny.  :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:55:31 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JGM

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

Not trying to be funny but I hear you Dave.  I did report the issue to "The company" by another avenue.  I have a DS7000 based system in my work home and it is much more stable but had to do the antenna modification to the CM-15A where I integrated the system with an aka house computer for automation and remote monitoring.  That experience plus the information presented in this forum is what made the SC1200/SC12A based system work properly.  All I can say is thanks to the forum crowd saving me the trouble of returning the purchase and probably buying a more expensive product with it's own quirks.  For the technically prone or at least folks that can use a drill and soldering iron, I recommend the antenna modifications.  It's better than chasing setup and false alarm issues.

mkgriff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »

>*<at the risk of meeting at that horse did you ground the antenna or just use the white wire as the lead to the 36 inch antenna inside the wall?
BVC & AHP mean never having to say "TURN THAT LIGHT ON WHEN YOU GO BY"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:12:10 AM »

>*<at the risk of meeting at that horse did you ground the antenna or just use the white wire as the lead to the 36 inch antenna inside the wall?

Since the forum has been off-line for a while... the original poster may not be following this thread any longer. So let me answer the best I can.

I've done the CM15A antenna mod... originally I removed the plastic antenna and attached a 18 inch wire. Then I replaced the wire with a old transceiver antenna. Both worked fine and were merely an extention of the white antenna wire. But the SC1200 maybe a bit more complex. Here is the link/instructions that you should find more helpful:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=26293.msg148341#msg148341
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JGM

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »

It has been awhile since I've been on the forum so apologize for any delayed response.  The antenna mods I did were electrically simple in the sense that all I did was attach the existing receive antenna to an external telescoping one.  On the CM15A I was able to fit the antenna to the original plastic elbow where the old tube attached giving a factory made appearance.  On the SC1200 it was the electrical connection was the same but the mechanical fixture as I remember was some odd 90 degree rubber elbow grommet I found in my 56 year parts bin (think it came from an aquarium air pump) mounted to the back case.  The only thing one could call complex about either job was ascertaining the proper antenna length which only required a little research and remembering.  Both systems still from an RF stability perspective work like a champ.  Now like others I'm in the X10 WTI bankruptcy/while updating PC escaping XP expiration/no AHP software availability from new company situation.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:37:26 PM »

....... Now like others I'm in the X10 WTI bankruptcy/while updating PC escaping XP expiration/no AHP software availability from new company situation.

Nice to see you checked in!
There are many of us waiting... hoping.... trying to make rough plans on what might be available [soon]. I find it frustrating... and somewhat exciting when I think of what the potential might be.

I originally setup my Home Automation with an old P2 that I got used with it running win98. I now have two old XP laptops and a security DVR running things. One laptop is connected to my CM15A... and the other laptop communicates with the CM15A connected one using a CM19A (mouse shaped firecracker). And the CM19A one is controlled by my iPhone via the wifi.

I dream of a win 8.1 home automation laptop (with maybe even a Kinect) that is connected to my TV.... ether by streaming or an old fashion [lol] HDMI connection. The future is certainly a very nice place!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.